Palace beekeeper's most solemn task: telling the bees about Queen Elizabeth II's death

I learned about "telling the bees " from Terry Pratchett’s Hat Full of Sky (which I’m reading to my nine-year-old, but we may have to stop because she says it’s not as fun as the first Tiffany Aching book, probably because I have fewer opportunities to do my Nac Mac Feegle accent).

6 Likes

It is interesting to me that behive shaped refers to a traditional straw skep despite the fact that it bears little resemblance to either wild hives or the modern man-made hives in use for well over 100 years

4 Likes

(this is old, old Indo-European shit, and fascinating, accordingly)

4 Likes

PL Travers, the creator of Mary Poppins, has a good essay about this practice in her book What the Bee Knows.

3 Likes

Have we tried putting him in a container of rice?

12 Likes

I remember discovering the ■■■■■ ban when commenting on a post about the dogëden. (a semi-buried doghouse)

1 Like

does this somehow redeem the wicker man remake?

ezgif-1-822579416d

It’s funny because whilst this happens there are British people that can’t afford to heat their homes.

… At least I assume that’s the joke.

2 Likes

I learned about telling the bees from an episode of a British murder mystery. Can’t remember which…Poirot, Miss Marple, Father Brown, or Midsomer.

2 Likes

That’s my understanding of it too.
Big Big Train tells the whole story beautifully in their song “Telling the Bees” from their 2016 album “Folklore”.
It’s on Bandcamp. I’m not affiliated, just a fan.

shenanigans

1 Like

Do they tell all the other monarchs in English, regardless of the language they actually speak? I will forgive for the moment, but as soon as it is possible this should be done by some combination of pheromones and dancing.

2 Likes

4 Likes

It was Midsomer Murders S21E3 The Sting of Death.

Oh God why do I know that.

11 Likes

Oh!

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.