This amazing bee whisperer scoops up bees with bare hands as if they were candy

Originally published at: This amazing bee whisperer scoops up bees with bare hands as if they were candy | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Is a “honeybee sanctuary” different from a regular beehive sort of setup? Do they not collect the honey? Presumably the bees wander off of the property where they sanctuary is located?

She’s already a Boing-lebrity:

My wife is a beekeeper and assures me that beekeeping doesn’t require you to talk “breathy” as this woman does in her videos.

11 Likes

There’s a YouTuber who goes by “The Bush Bee Man” who does smart work, although he is a beekeeper. Some beehives are just full of asshole bees whereas others are calm. His videos include both kinds of rescues.

2 Likes

Has your wife tried speaking this way to bees? If not, why not?

5 Likes

I love her videos. She clearly cares for the bees she rescues. Her voice is so soothing. It’s like bee ASMR.

5 Likes

This kind of thing sure would have killed the plot of all those 70s killer bees movies.

6 Likes

Right?! All they needed to do was carry an extra queen bee in their pocket, just in case.

7 Likes

I am surprised that the beehive would just take up a new queen that wasn’t their own queen. I’m thinking they can tell the difference. But maybe they just desire an authority figure like f-cking republicans.

1 Like

Re-queening a new hive takes a few days. The queen is in a small, vented box with a sugar plug. In the days it takes the workers to chew through the plug and unseal the queen they have become used to her pheromones and accept her.

11 Likes

Having chatted with a bee keeper who does this kind of thing, my understanding is that there’s nothing “bee whisperer” about it. They don’t care much if you’ve got a special touch or what. Rather, if they’re swarming to find a new nest then they aren’t going to sting you. That’s it.

That’s not to say I don’t have a huge amount of respect for people like this, and also I’d be trembling so hard I couldn’t pick them up, but her having a soothing voice or whatever doesn’t have anything to do with it.

2 Likes

In her case, the communication is going the other way; the bees are “whispering” [1], and she can hear them just fine.

[1] “Whispering” in this case being: communicating by behaviour and body language that I don’t understand because bees aren’t my jam.

2 Likes

The Emerging Beef Between the Texas Bee Lady and the Beekeeping Critic Who Argues She’s an Influencer Hoax

1 Like

Is there a rule stating that these “takedown videos” have to be done in a car while driving?

This is all very silly.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.