Florida man fights off shark

[Permalink]

Glad to see that Florida Man is alive and well.

5 Likes

Once or twice I’ve been in that situation of trying to hide my entire body behind a pole spear.

2 Likes

I’ll catch this bird for you, but it ain’t gonna be easy. Bad fish! Not like going down to the pond and chasing bluegills and tommycods. This shark, swallow ya whole. Little shakin’, little tenderizin’, down you go.

1 Like

The most terrifying thing for me is the complete lack of visibility. Jesus.

1 Like

Is that typical visibility for the east coast of Flordia?

Discussions on a spearfishing site (spearboard) noted that in the first moments of the video the shark hit (actually, bit) his tank from behind. The rest of the video takes place several minutes later. Amazingly, in the minutes in between he continued to spear and that’s possibly why the shark came back. After the shark went away he sent his catch to the surface and even motored to another spot to continue spearing a short time later.

Considering the man was the invader there, and he got out of there, I think the story is “Florida shark fights off man.”

7 Likes

Visibility depends on the direction of the wind and where the Gulf Stream is located that day. In the Keys, the Gulf Stream was a band of indigo water and when that came in visibility was well over 100’ and we could see the bottom 60 feet down as we drove around in the boat.

1 Like

The diver had also kick up the silt.

1 Like

reminds me of the old joke: Sharks aren’t so bad… If a stranger came into my house wearing nothing but a speedo, I’d probably attack him too.

5 Likes

Reminds me of FPS gameplay footage from 10 years ago…

I think Florida man pretty much did the exact right thing. Sharks bully you to see if you are scared and also tasty. Bumping and shoving their prey from surprising angles and trying to determine “Threat or McDLT?” By hunkering down and making it super unpleasant for the shark to approach (stabbing it with a spear) the shark learns threat.

I think the self control to not spear it was a good one too. Could have set off a bad chain reaction of fear, pain and anger.

I can’t often say Florida man impresses me, but today he gets some respect.

4 Likes

So I’m not watching that because the cover image on the video is the stuff of nightmares for me.

Gaw.

And yet at some point in the future I will watch this video, because hey, sharks bloody cool, and then I’ll regret it.

But not yet. Not yet, dammit.

/me shivers at the mere thought of it

I can’t wait for the Florida Man reality TV show. That guy is involved in some unbelievable shit.

4 Likes

I’m just glad to see Florida Man acting more the super hero, than the super insane super villain.

I think that you mean acting like an insensitive clod:

this guy is NOT “fighting off a shark”, he is hunting the shark. he was even pursuing it if you watch the video, and already dove in with a weapon to kill it. this guy is a jerk, not a hero.

…the other two sharks swimming up from behind while their buddy distracts you. Not having 360 degree vision sucks in a situation like that.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.