Florida school district bans dictionaries

Originally published at: Florida school district bans dictionaries - Boing Boing

5 Likes

gove_is_idiot

My elementary school in the panhandle had Nation Geographic magazines dating way back. We would look through them for pictures of native women with bare boobs. Somehow none of us became too weird.

30 Likes

They’ll be banning the letters L, G, B, T and Q next.

23 Likes

…and the plus sign.

16 Likes

Not too sure about that. You’re here with the rest of us, right?

11 Likes

This would be hilarious if it weren’t so darkly dystopian.

I think this may be another one of those days when satire truly died.

17 Likes

Don’t give the Repuican pary any ideas!

2 Likes

And so ends the century long tradition of school children looking up dirty words in the dictionary.

8 Likes
17 Likes

This move is straight out of 1984.

'You don’t grasp the beauty of the destruction of words. Do you know that Newspeak is the only language in the world whose vocabulary gets smaller every year?’

‘Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it.’

Oldspeak doubleplusungood. Newspeak doubleplusgood.

19 Likes

7 Likes

They have problems with math anyway… so…

7 Likes

They’d be likely to replace it with a minus sign.

5 Likes

I bet they “think” a dictionary is a lesbian separatist group.

9 Likes

Obviously, all they need to do is ban the letters x and q. This way no one can talk about se or being ueer. Problem solved.

ETA: Darn… @Brainspore made the same joke I did.

6 Likes

Be a shame if someone put these prudes on a Victoria’s Secret mailing list.

6 Likes

Overner of Forida Ron DeSanis

I like this game.

2 Likes

bbbbut what about qanon?
tumblr_7832589b0ce301db2a52b01f9ee5d068_22d38180_400

5 Likes

DICtionary - just look at it!

3 Likes

i’ll admit, i had to go looking for other sources…

several books have already been restricted and removed, including Alice Sebold’s “Lucky,” Sapphire’s “Push,” and Kyle Luckoff’s “When Aidan Became a Brother,” a picture book that tells the story of a young transgender boy and his new role as a big brother.

the list [also] consists of more than 1,600 books “banned pending investigation…” Among titles on the list are: John T. Alexander’s “Catherine the Great: Life and Legend,” “Speak: The Graphic Novel,” Carl Hiaasen’s “Hoot,” and Anne Frank’s “Diary of a Young Girl.”

Also on the list are “Merriam-Webster’s Elementary Dictionary,” “The Bible Book,” “The World Book Encyclopedia of People and Places,” “Guinness Book of World Records, 2000,” “Webster’s Dictionary and Thesaurus for Students,” “The American Heritage Children’s Dictionary”… and eight encyclopedias

yikes :confused:

5 Likes