Florida school district declares books with LBGTQ+ “characters and themes cannot exist”

Biblical Characters; aren’t they a Job Lot?

6 Likes

Ah, here it is, the losing First Amendment case. Students, you know what to do!

19 Likes

if a book doesn’t explicitly say someone is cis gendered and straight, how do we know!? i mean, dear god. look at dumbledore. anyone could be gay now!

people mention the bible, but they conveniently forget that jesus surrounded himself by men. maybe he was ace, maybe he just really liked beards, or maybe he was just like dumbledore

unless a book says one way or the other, white heterosexual fragility can never be safe

13 Likes

Not only that but he spoke a lot about love, including loving thy neighbor and thy enemy (Matthew 5:43-48).

Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

and Matthew 19:16-19:

And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

7 Likes

MadLibrarian sits outside the school with a container of popcorn

9 Likes

Was going to post the same! Fortunately I read the comments first.
Ohh well. Here’s a coke anyway:

coca cola soda GIF

5 Likes

That clip never gets an airing.

:+1:

3 Likes

FB_IMG_1648734513426

7 Likes

This paper presents an argument, based on old Hebrew that the original text of Leviticus 18:22 intends this.

So, basically, don’t screw your close female AND male relations. Peoples of ancient past might not have been as intolerant as we think.

edit: fixed source link

8 Likes

Right you are. That was a lot of bad job on me!

4 Likes

And yet they do exist, what paradox is this?

3 Likes

Indeed! I think this is a common complaint about how people cite the old testament, since it’s been translated and bastardized away from the original text in centuries of politically motivated translations…

5 Likes

This is a quote I took from newsnet back in the '90’s:

Christian Biblical literalists are trusting themselves to an archaic
English translation of a Latin translation of (help me out here…)
Greek? Aramaic? source. I wouldn’t even trust a VCR manual to make
it through that intact. – Dr. Dee

The translation argument is not a new one. I’m sure it’s probably centureies old

For the young kids at the back, a VCR is kind of like an early precursor to the DVD player :grin:

9 Likes

the argument is that god handles the translation. so as long as you belong to the correct subdivision of christianity, you’ve got the correct bible.

since god is all powerful, it’s an easy argument to make.

and if you have a hard time believing that about the individual words, just wait till you hear about the hidden messages :crying_cat_face:

4 Likes

Easy to refute too :smiley:

Let’s go up to god in some iron chariots and ask him since he’s so powerful, why couldn’t he make himself clear?

3 Likes

They aren’t hateful scum because of a mistranslation of the Bible. Its just that they are sociopaths who think quotemining gives them authority.

5 Likes

Pop Tv Johnny Rose GIF by Schitt's Creek

5 Likes

Thou shalt commit adultery.

the LORD our God hath shewed us his glory and his great-asse

:thinking:

8 Likes

wait, are you telling me god’s ass isn’t great!?

7 Likes

Not to be confused with the discovery by Messrs. Pratchett and Gaiman of the Buggre Alle This Bible.

The lengthy compositor’s error, if such it may be called, occurs in the book of Ezekiel, chapter 48, verse five.

1. And bye the border of Dan, fromme the east side fo the west side, a portion for Afher.

2. And by the border of Afher, fromme the east side even untoe the west side, a portion for Naphtali.

3. And by the border of Naphtali, from the east side untoe the west side, a portion for Manaffeh.

4. Buggre Alle this for a Larke. I amme sick to mye Hart of typefettinge. Master Biltonn if no Gentelmann, and Master Scagges noe more than a tighte fisted Southwarke Knobbefticke. I telle you, onne a daye laike thif Ennywone withe half and oz of Sense shoulde bee oute in the Sunneshain, ane nott Stucke here alle the liuelong daie inn thif mowldey olde By-Our-Lady Workefhoppe. @ "Æ@;!

5. And bye the border of Ephraim, from the east fide even untoe the west fide, a portion for Reuben.

1 Like