Florida sheriff encourages homeowners to shoot burglars to "save taxpayers money"

Originally published at: Florida sheriff encourages homeowners to shoot burglars to "save taxpayers money" | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Never mind that whole “no one shall be "deprived of life, liberty or property without due process of law” portion of the constitution… The second amendment trumps the fifth, am I right?

31 Likes

Save even more money, shoot useless sheriffs (or just fire them).

15 Likes

total money saver, it’s not like anyone has to investigate all these shootings…I guess unless that’s what he’s wink-wink suggesting…

11 Likes

The ole’ “shoot first ask questions later” dragged out in the open for all to see.

Does it apply when ACAB’s show up uninvited to your door?

22 Likes

Just google Cory Maye, Ryan Frederick, Kathryn Johnston, etc…

8 Likes

“Oh, I’m sorry, officer. I thought you were a burglar.”

9 Likes

I wonder if a cop ends up dead from someone shooting a “burglar” during a no knock warrant, this statement will be used in their defense?

16 Likes

21 Likes

We already have the test case: Breonna Taylor. Cops broke down her door in the middle of the night and failed to identify themselves. Her boyfriend fired at them, and the cops fired back, killing Breonna.

Her boyfriend was charged with shooting a police officer and no charges were brought against the cops. Oh, and they had the wrong house.

37 Likes

Honestly the funniest part is him pretending that the police expend any resources on burglaries, or that giving the police less work to do would in any way reduce the amount of bullshit overtime they rake in. And as for those for profit prison cells they could be saving? yeah, no way De Santis will let his involuntary-hotelier and slaver bosses go without their bread and butter.

11 Likes

“Whoever that was, you’re not in trouble. Come see us.”

LOL anybody that believes a cop when they say this deserves what they get.

14 Likes

Florida, man…

4 Likes

That would be wrong, unless you suspect that they’re bad guys impersonating an officer, in which case “you’re more than welcome to shoot them”.

2 Likes

Any class that is taught with the goal of making more people dead isn’t a “safety” class.

16 Likes

I’m aware of that case, as well as others where cops were shot at by someone because they were at the wrong house and did a no knock warrant. (Or even the right house, with a no knock warrant.)

Playing back the Sheriff’s own words on why someone shot first and asked questions later could come back to bite them in the ass.

5 Likes

Not that I’m advocating it - but you could save money if you Shot the Sheriff. What’s his salary and bennies add up to?

Of course- you’d save less if you shot the Deputy.

24 Likes

the second only says:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

and i don’t see a single thing there about shooting a gun so it really doesn’t have to be either / or.

( nor even really about individuals owning guns – “the people” being not individual humans, but simply “not the federal government.” at any rate, more clearly: nothing about shooting guns. )

6 Likes

That doesn’t fit the soundtrack, so Sheriff it is.

8 Likes

Logical consistency isn’t even a strong suit of our legal system, much less the least honest segment of it.

4 Likes