Florida sheriff makes reasonable stand-your-ground shooting sound like casual murder

The very first thing I said was:

I said nothing about “burden”, although your choice of words is interesting. Since the “aggressor” in this case is the “victim” since he is the one no longer breathing.

I wish they had called the cops, and let them deal with the dude. ( still a good chance he’d wind up dead, though you could hope the professional might be better at dealing with him )

I have no doubt that if someone says they have a gun that they actually might. That’s kinda the whole issue, guns make it too easy for one emotional ape to kill another, and I think it would be best if no-one died.

1 Like

His hands weren’t empty. He was holding his phone and pointing it like a gun while shouting that he had a gun.

2 Likes

That right there is some epic level Monday morning quarterbacking

4 Likes

Hitting the guy with your car probably carries with it more liability than shooting him. Like, legally the two might be the same (maybe?) but it practice I think it’s way more likely to get into serious trouble for running a guy over than for shooting him in Florida

3 Likes

Zimmerman aside, yes I completely agree she never should have been found guilty. I agree the original verdict was BS. It’s also BS she had to plead out for her retrial, but at least she is free vs still in prison.

3 Likes

Yeah, but we can do better in this country. It’s going to take us putting pressure on all of our public officials for that to happen. I’m glad she’s out, I’m pissed she had to plead out.

10 Likes

If she were white and not poor, she would never have been charged, let alone convicted.

A biased “justice” system that occasionally makes a partial concession under pressure is still not a justice system.

6 Likes

I don’t fault the driver for this. Yes, it turns out the aggressor didn’t have a gun, but when someone has forced you off the road in the dark, has announced they have a pistol and is walking towards your vehicle with something in their hand… Sitting in my well-lit office drinking coffee on a Friday morning it’s easy to say he should have done something different, but in the moment, I get it.

But I still don’t see this as a win for the “the right to carry is important to self-defense” crowd. The Uber driver had just finished training as a police officer. I haven’t gone through police training but I assume (I hope) it involves training to deal with situations just like this. Most people don’t have that training. The average joe who just bought a handgun at Wal-Mart and has undergone no training is still probably more likely to shoot themselves in the leg then kill the bad guy.

2 Likes

I agree and acknowledge this a few comments below your post.

1 Like

臨済将軍、曹洞土民 I guess.

Preach, sister! Describing a deranged, threatening stalker as a ‘goofball’ is… problematic, to say the least. The fact the stalker was shot dead shows his behaviour went far beyond ‘goofball’, which suggests to me a ‘ha ha he’s a little weird’ kind of person, not a ‘force another driver to pull over then get out and approach threateningly’ kind of situation.

4 Likes

I specifically wrote that it was a plausible threat. It just wasn’t real.

3 Likes

Boek was being a stalker-asshole and not very smart, either. He still didn’t need to be dead.

If this was a police officer killing a civilian with a cell phone, most of the posters on this thread would be blaming the officer (as it should be - this situation needed a lot more de-escalation). But because it was a private citizen, it’s being celebrated? What nonsense. This is a perfect example of the problem of the “good guy with a gun” fallacy, and why it’s so toxic.

1 Like

Perhaps some would. Others would say the extremely aggressive actions with a deadly weapon (the truck), a direct threat of a firearm which seems to confirm what was in his hands was a gun - that the shooting would be justified.

And that is the word I would use. Justified, not celebrated.

4 Likes

The word that seems to be missing: tragedy.

1 Like

We hold ostensibly trained and paid police officers to a higher standarf of conduct than the average civillian. Or at least we ought to.

8 Likes

I think he just sounds Southern. Sure, sure, sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference. But in the local vernacular, he sounded concerned and emphatic.

2 Likes

While I cringe at the casualness of calling this guy Goofball, I do like the idea of using goofy nicknames for premeditated killers, as suggested by Rod Cockerham:

http://www.cockeyed.com/citizen/infamous/infamous_nicknames.html

Blockquote 1. Ladle 2. Teeter 3. Bowl 4. Cloud 5. Pouty 6. ■■■■■ 7. Crotch 8. Ferrule 9. Pudge 10. Smear 11. Pimple.

Most of these goofballs would much rather be known as a thug or otherwise scary person. I imagine that most cops who do unjustified shootings would also rather be thought of as a badass than a goofball.

ETA: What is boing boing’s problem with moisture? Seems like a goofball word to auto censor (in quote above)

Because it amuses one of the editors mostly. And it amuses most of the rest of us as well.

5 Likes

4 Likes