Follow-up

5 Likes

Sensible ruling, I think.

5 Likes
11 Likes

Of course his lawyers will appeal. As long as the money keeps flowing.

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: BBSers helping BBSers

Whoohoo!

Following up to this

9 Likes

barrowman-dancing-buzzcocks

4 Likes

Ng’s response in this thread here is fantastic:

6 Likes

I love that woman!

And it’s an excellent point, about why not social sciences being fictionalized… I guess maybe it’s because part of what makes science fiction as a genre feasible is the ability to project change into the future, and it’s far easier to project into the future the changes to technology than it is to chart the changes to social relations, in part because too many people believe that human nature is static and unchanging, or are unwilling to believe that anyway. A science fiction novel grounded in social relations that are profoundly different is in some ways a harder thing to wrap your head around, if you’re entire world view revolves around some supposed eternal human nature…

4 Likes

That, and Campbell was a sexist. Those were “women’s stories”. Men wrote about spaceships and rayguns.

Gatekeepers can be insanely powerful with lasting effects.

5 Likes

Well, yes, there is that! :wink: But I think that social sciences are probably more feminized, not just in make up of who gets degrees in them, but also in terms of how they’re viewed in the world.

Indeed.

6 Likes

As a follow-up to @ficuswhisperer’s post about Richard Stallman going to bat for pedophiles on a professional listserv…

4 Likes

Stallman’s final interview as FSF president: Last week we quizzed him over Microsoft visit. Now he quits top roles amid Epstein email storm

3 Likes
1 Like

Musk argued that “‘Pedo guy’ was a common insult used in South Africa when I was growing up […] synonymous with ‘creepy old man’ and is used to insult a person’s appearance and demeanor.” You know, the way people say “murderer” or “rapist” to mean “a rude person I find disagreeable.”

Oh, how silly of me. To think of all the times a called someone a “murder” or “rapist” when I just meant “asshole” - totally makes sense now.

3 Likes

Remember that security probe that ended with a sheriff cuffing the pen testers? The contract is now public so you can decide who screwed up

1 Like

The post I wrote in the “Furries Deplatform Milo” thread about Milo attracting the Furry Raiders got deleted because it was in a response to a “furries are trash” post, but to absolutely no one’s surprise…

NO POLITICS except extreme right-wing politics!!!

3 Likes

Pretty much. They believe that they are SO right about their views that they have gone above and beyond “politics” into the arena of pure truth. They are wrong.

5 Likes

Not quite a follow-up, but in the wake of this:

There is this:

8 Likes