Follow-up

8 Likes

This case is much less about the legal status of a fetus in Alabama, and much more about the legal status of a woman in Alabama.

15 Likes

I just installed the new Buster Raspbian on a RPi2 and itā€™s much better on a slow refresh 480x320 display. Before tweaking the drivers, it still loses frames playing YouTube videos, but much less than before, and without the annoying sweep refresh. So far, Iā€™m happy.

And Windows 10 seems to have trashed support for my USB SD card reader. Oh well, my XP netbook got that job done.

3 Likes
11 Likes

grumpy-cat-good

12 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes

Sensible ruling, I think.

5 Likes
11 Likes

Of course his lawyers will appeal. As long as the money keeps flowing.

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: BBSers helping BBSers

Whoohoo!

Following up to this

9 Likes

barrowman-dancing-buzzcocks

4 Likes

Ngā€™s response in this thread here is fantastic:

6 Likes

I love that woman!

And itā€™s an excellent point, about why not social sciences being fictionalizedā€¦ I guess maybe itā€™s because part of what makes science fiction as a genre feasible is the ability to project change into the future, and itā€™s far easier to project into the future the changes to technology than it is to chart the changes to social relations, in part because too many people believe that human nature is static and unchanging, or are unwilling to believe that anyway. A science fiction novel grounded in social relations that are profoundly different is in some ways a harder thing to wrap your head around, if youā€™re entire world view revolves around some supposed eternal human natureā€¦

4 Likes

That, and Campbell was a sexist. Those were ā€œwomenā€™s storiesā€. Men wrote about spaceships and rayguns.

Gatekeepers can be insanely powerful with lasting effects.

5 Likes

Well, yes, there is that! :wink: But I think that social sciences are probably more feminized, not just in make up of who gets degrees in them, but also in terms of how theyā€™re viewed in the world.

Indeed.

6 Likes

As a follow-up to @ficuswhispererā€™s post about Richard Stallman going to bat for pedophiles on a professional listservā€¦

4 Likes

Stallmanā€™s final interview as FSF president: Last week we quizzed him over Microsoft visit. Now he quits top roles amid Epstein email storm

3 Likes