Follow-up

I think they were trying to run a Carville/Matalin media game - but no one was buying it.

9 Likes

I’m glad the appeals court actually did their duty. Because the trial judge certainly did not. I really hope she’s removed from the bench.

Sulyma [the judge] initially said a 16½ year sentence would have been appropriate, but reduced the prison term to eight years to avoid “crushing” a first-time offender she believed has “excellent” prospects for rehabilitation.

What? A first time offender who was convicted of 5 rapes? Given how difficult it is to prove rape ina court, that guy probably raped dozens of people

And now the what the actual fuck

Sulyma, the trial judge, settled on eight years, forcefully rejecting the Crown’s claims about drugging. She said McKnight would have deserved 16½ years, but reduced that total to 10 years, concluding each rape “was an isolated offence over a total of many years.”

I get the judge can’t consider the rapes that were acquitted (except she did) but five rapes?! That’s not an isolated offense. That’s FIVE rapes. That man is a serial rapist.

Sulyma also saw no need to impose “a lengthy sentence to demonstrate society’s need to denounce and deter other like-minded persons,” given the eight acquittals.

The acquittals should not count towards reducing his sentence for the convictions. That is not how the law, much less justice, works. It is particularly enraging this judge was a woman.

17 Likes
9 Likes
12 Likes

Person dies after brain-eating amoeba infection possibly caused by sinus rinse with tap water

‘You cannot be infected by drinking tap water’

“Sinus solutions should be made using only distilled or sterile water. Tap water should be boiled for at least one minute and cooled before sinus rinsing.”

12 Likes
9 Likes

Welp… good thing I use bottled, distilled water for that…

8 Likes

It’s under 17% of the highest number of murders per year.

Which was 1990 at 2,605 murders.

14 Likes
10 Likes

“Criminal activity will not be tolerated in Atlanta nor tolerated in connection to this project,” Schierbaum said.

and yet it’s for training cops. i see a contradiction here :thinking:

( interesting that of the people arrested only two are said to be georgia residents. one is listed as being from france. students i wonder, or…? )

10 Likes

Sure Jan GIF

11 Likes

Since when did not wanting to be associated with a vile shithead become canceling?

18 Likes

A couple years ago? At least I don’t think I’ve ever heard the term “cancel culture” used to describe anything but that…

9 Likes

More deregulation should solve that problem /s

6 Likes

What if it wasn’t Heinz?

10 Likes

i don’t think that matters. Heinz gets the “good karma” and promo possibilities. dude gets a new boat. (and dude will never want ketchup on anything ever again!)
whatta ya bet it’ll be ugly-ass red and emblazoned with corporate logos and flags.
still… new boat! w00t!

16 Likes

Durex would have had a field day if he used their stuff to survive. To catch water, minnows, or whatever.

There’s a comedy sketch in there somewhere.

ETA: misspledding

7 Likes

I used my electric kettle.

Of course you have to let it cool down a bit.

5 Likes
8 Likes
11 Likes