Follow-up

6 Likes

Parachutes Deploy!

https://www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/boeings-stock-rallies-as-ceo-dave-calhoun-to-step-down-at-the-end-of-the-year-d04ce226

4 Likes

Podcast:

8 Likes

16 Likes
5 Likes

The unusual strategic reserve, made famous by the heist, is doing its job.

9 Likes
8 Likes
10 Likes
12 Likes

I donā€™tā€¦ what?

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

9 Likes
4 Likes

a couple other surveys support that too, and add this:

Religionā€™s negative teaching about LGBTQ people are driving younger Americans to leave church," Deckman says. ā€œWe found that about 60% under the age of 30 say they left because of their religious traditions teachingā€¦ā€ Hispanic Americans are also more likely to say theyā€™ve left a religion over LGBTQ issues. Other reasons cited for leaving: clergy sexual abuse and over-involvement in politics.

the small cloud over that is:

ā€œā€¦only about 16% [leaving] were former evangelicalsā€

since white evangelicals are behind the rise of christian nationalism, iā€™d have hoped more of them were leavingā€¦ though 16% isnā€™t nothing.

8 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes

:thinking:

5 Likes
10 Likes
8 Likes

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-00902-2

Two things need to be said after reading The Anxious Generation. First, this book is going to sell a lot of copies, because Jonathan Haidt is telling a scary story about childrenā€™s development that many parents are primed to believe. Second, the bookā€™s repeated suggestion that digital technologies are rewiring our childrenā€™s brains and causing an epidemic of mental illness is not supported by science. Worse, the bold proposal that social media is to blame might distract us from effectively responding to the real causes of the current mental-health crisis in young people.

9 Likes

Worth noting that ā€œgangā€ isnā€™t a racially coded word in most of the world. I would have thought I was more au fait with American politics than most and itā€™s a TIL for me.

5 Likes

I donā€™t know what the hell the generative AI that hallucinated that headline was smoking when it did, but Iā€™m almost certain that substance is not legal anywhere on Earth.

3 Likes