Follow-up

But who cares, some assholes will be entertained!!

Russell Crowe Gladiator GIF by MOODMAN

5 Likes

i do wonder if they would call themselves gangs, or maybe they use words like guerilla fighters, revolutionaries, militias, or warring factions. with “gang” being such a racially coded word in the us, i’ve wondered a bit whether its use by western mainstream journalists is the result of a racist frame

( edit for stupid word choice )

5 Likes

Cherzivier certainly seems to see himself in those terms… But yeah, I’ve been saying that for a few weeks here now, about the term gang being problematic?

6 Likes

I think the issue, apart from most of the information coming out being filtered through the racist/colonialist lens you’ve covered pretty comprehensively, is that even people who are well aware of the history and ongoing problems and factions in Haiti don’t have much presence there in the country. So they’re unable to give an unbiased account of what’s going on, as they’re restricted to the same fonts of info we are.

4 Likes

Except there have been journalists filing reports from Haiti recently. Cherizier had a meeting with several members of the press. This particular article I posted from Al-Jazeera was the only one I’ve seen to actually give any depth as to his goals here.

So…

Colin Farrell Reaction GIF

7 Likes

Yeah, Al Jazeera does some reporting others shy away from (and I think that’s why they often get access like they did). I just had a look at who Fatton is, and he’s Hatian-American Prof specializing in Haiti, and if he’s still referring to Cheirizier’s group as a gang, he for sure knows more than I do.

There’s some much more detailed reports on the situation, where he explains a lot of the background of the gangs, and how they relate to the current situation, this one is quite good (though I’m fairly sure there’s nothing new in there for you):

5 Likes
7 Likes

Boeing Sees Massive Cash Drain as 737 Max Episode Takes Toll

CFO sees cash outflows up to $4.5 billion in first quarter

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-03-20/boeing-predicts-massive-cash-drain-as-jan-5-accident-takes-toll

Must be making shareholders and retirees very nervous by now. That is a big sucking sound you hear…

6 Likes
8 Likes

a bad review of the three body problem.

5 Likes

22 Likes

SRO’s are returning.

6 Likes

He has now been charged with the more serious offense of paying middle school girls for sex. On nine separate occasions.

7 Likes

“Recovered” covers a wide spectrum from being ripped apart and sold off in bits and pieces all the way to being carefully documented archaeologically and raised in a responsible manner to preserve as much information for research and an eventual exhibition without any commercial angle.

Unfortunately, with a value of $17 billion being bandied about, I fear the recovery effort will lean towards the former end of the spectrum. The temptation will just be too much, no matter what international organisations say in protest.

5 Likes

Boeing now has crime victims on the radar…

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/22/business/alaska-airlines-fbi-passengers-crime-victims/index.html

4 Likes

Will this result in serious jail time? I remember you saying before that possession of child sex abuse material is not as heavily punished in Japan vs the US and by confessing to that, this guy would probably get a fine and probation.
There are many things I like and admire about Japan but the blase attitude towards the sexualization of children and lack of serious criminal penalties for CSAM is both disgusting and infuriating. Possession and creating CSAM seems to be prosecuted more in the US and punished more heavily. Often much more than child sexual abuse :confused:

6 Likes

Japan has recently (as in within the last couple of years) toughened up laws against sex with minors, so he is facing several years (though unfortunately not decades) for this.

Below is a recent similar case where the piece of shit was sentenced to five years in prison, which is a lot more than he would have got before the law was revised but still not nearly harsh enough by any reasonable standard.

In the case below, the piece of shit was charged with “nonconsensual sex,” which is a new legal term that is applied when the victim is below the age of consent (16) and in other cases where the victim is unable to actively consent. Under the old law, he would have gotten off with a slap on the wrist because it was not “forceful.”

3 Likes

:thinking: I wonder if this will reverse the trend of changing zoning laws to prevent homeowners from renting out rooms. When I look at census records from 1900 to 1940, that seems to have been a common practice. NIMBYs fighting against Airbnb also shut down some long-term rentals and people seeking boarders.

News reports highlighted single seniors and empty nesters who did this to pay increasing taxes and age in place, but most municipalities allowed no exceptions. New regulations limiting the number of unrelated people sharing a residence also restricted people from having roommates or maintaining off-campus sororities and fraternities. It would be nice to see those restrictions reversed.

7 Likes
8 Likes

Some good news in an otherwise terrible series of events:

11 Likes