Follow-up

Chinese State media have let their readers know what the regime thinks of the Oracle/Walmart TikTok takeover and it appears that the gloves have come off.

“Robbery of TikTok reveals unabashed US hegemony” proclaimed Xinhua today, accompanied by ”The TikTok deal, a brazen heist” . Yesterday the line was ” TikTok victim of larcenous cronyism.

4 Likes

I just want to walk back my criticism here a little bit. I still believe that the best way to avoid legal problems with an author’s estate is to use your imagination to come up with your own literary universe, but I saw the movie and it was pretty good for its genre: I’m very much not the target audience (which I assume is 15-year-old girls), but can appreciate it for the quality of the acting, and even for its unusual take on Holmes.

1 Like

Wrong thread?

Brexit travel permits designed to avoid 7,000-lorry jams come January depend on software that won’t be finished till April

A UK government system to avoid miles of road traffic congestion in the county of Kent as the Brexit transition period comes to an end will rely on software which is not yet in its beta version.

Following the announcement this week that the government would introduce Kent Access Permits to ensure heavy goods vehicles travelling to the port of Dover and the Folkestone Eurotunnel crossing do not set off without the proper paperwork, the transport industry was quick to point out Whitehall had not begun testing the technology on which they would depend.

7 Likes

Alphabet promises to no longer bung tens of millions of dollars to alleged sex pest execs who quit mid-probe

Google will no longer pay top execs fat severance packages not only if they are fired for sexual harassment but also if they leave mid-investigation into their behavior, it announced on Friday.

4 Likes

It is a follow-up to a closed thread. What is this thread for?

1 Like

I think you met the intent of the topic. Carry on.

3 Likes

Well, let’s see how this will play out in court.

4 Likes

US govt wins right to snaffle Edward Snowden’s $5m+ book royalties, speech fees – and all future related earnings

The US government’s Department of Justice has won its multi-million-dollar claim to Edward Snowden’s Permanent Record book royalties as well as any future related earnings.

A federal district court in eastern Virginia this week ruled that Uncle Sam was entitled to the proceeds of Snowden’s bestseller, an estimated $5.2m, and “any further monies, royalties, or other financial advantages derived by Snowden from Permanent Record.” It can also grab Snowden’s appearance fees from 56 speeches, thought to exceed $1m.

The court came to this conclusion after deciding Snowden broke his non-disclosure agreements with the NSA and CIA. It noted the super-leaker did not offer up his book for a review by official censors nor did he clear speeches on intelligence matters with the US government as required by his employment contract from the time he worked for Uncle Sam.

3 Likes

First analysts, now YouTubers put you on blast. Do you A) take it on the chin or B) up fire up the DMCA-o-tron?

1 Like

China takes TikTok-WeChat ding-dong to World Trade Organization, accuses US, India of breaking global rules

Speaking at a closed door meeting of the World Trade Organization (WTO), a representative of the Chinese government argued that the Trump administration’s recent efforts, and a ban in India, “are clearly inconsistent with WTO rules, restrict cross-border trading services and violate the basic principles and objectives of the multilateral trading system,” according to a trade official quoted in media reports.

That same official said that the Chinese rep pointed out that the US had failed to provide any evidence the app – and Middle Kingdom chat app WeChat – represented a threat to national security; the official reason given for blocking the apps in America. The US was engaging in a “clear abuse” of the rules, the Chinese government argued.

4 Likes

What’s that about the treatment of Uighurs by the Chinese government?

They spent days under intense interrogation by both US and Chinese officials.

Canada ain’t looking great here, either.

At least the Obama administration released these men. How much you want to bet that the GOP senators who opposed the treatment of Uighurs in China were angry about these men being released by Obama?

11 Likes

https://abc7.com/torrance-tirade-karen-racist-rant-lena-hernandez/6822472/

giphy(2)

Maybe the sentence wasn’t enough, but at least they got her.

8 Likes

Sohla El-Waylly, one of the POC employees on Conde Nast’s Bon Appetit YouTube channel who was treated, just, incredibly awfully by staff and management, has gotten her own show on Binging with Babish (which is now, apparently, the Babish Culinary Universe) called Stump Sohla. The focus is on challenging her cooking expertise by giving her a curveball assignment each episode, instead of hauling her on camera without compensation to make up for BA’s underqualified white hosts.

11 Likes

I have not watched the one with the convenience store meal… but have seen this one and the flambe healthy soup and ice cream one. Sohla’s a god damn delight!

6 Likes

TikTok says Trump administration ban is based on fake news about the app and its back end

TikTok has claimed that the Trump administration’s reasons for wanting it banned are mostly based on incorrect assumptions about its technology.

The claims were made in a supplemental declaration [PDF] filed as part of the made-in-China social network’s legal action seeking to undo the USA’s ban on the app.

4 Likes
7 Likes

New name for the town of Asbestos

8 Likes
10 Likes

The Plaintiff and the Defendant in Landmark Same Sex Marriage Case Both Agree That Amy Coney Barrett Should Not Be on the Supreme Court

8 Likes