Follow-up

Basecamp CEO issues apology after ‘no political discussions at work’ edict blows up in his face

3 Likes

I feel like it’s a stretch to call it an apology if they’re not actually doing much of anything to fix the problem they caused for themselves. The new policies are remaining in effect. It really feels like a “we’re sorry we made you feel that way, and also I guess sorry to the folks who didn’t leave that we’ve just kind of ruined your work/life balance while we re-hire 30% of the company on short notice” sort of apology.

4 Likes

A New Zealand Wanksy gets in trouble with the penal code.

8 Likes

More on this:

3 Likes
5 Likes
7 Likes

Colonial Pipeline suffers server gremlins, says it’s not due to another ransomware infection

3 Likes

It took ‘over 80 different developers’ to review and fix ‘mess’ made by students who sneaked bad code into Linux

7 Likes
1 Like

I wonder how the Electronic Frontier Foundation, which has sadly drunk the Crypto Kool-Aid, feels about this development.

Like, can we focus on how the EFF defends cryptocurrency for a second? It seems as if they defend it as a “censorship-resistant”, and list out all of the tired talking points that your average crypto-fanatic would about how it can eventually be used for this or that, but in reality all it is is a speculative system for rich jerkbags to get even richer while killing the environment. And the benefits have never materialized, nor does it look like they ever will.

2 Likes
6 Likes

After staff revolt, Freenode management takes over hundreds of IRC channels for ‘policy violations’

Following the Freenode schism last week that saw most of the IRC network’s volunteer staff leave to form rival network Libera Chat, Freenode on Tuesday commandeered hundreds of channels used by various open source software projects and fiddled with their permissions.
[…]

3 Likes

Snowden was right, rules human rights court as it declares UK spy laws broke ECHR

Surveillance laws permitting GCHQ to operate its Tempora dragnet mass surveillance system broke the law, the European Court of Human Rights has ruled.
The judgment, handed down this morning in Strasbourg, vindicates the Edward Snowden revelations of 2013. The former NSA contractor revealed that Western spy agencies had been largely ignoring legal controls on their operations because, at the time, indiscriminate dragnet surveillance was more convenient than obeying the law.
Today’s ruling confirms that dragnet surveillance is not against the European Convention on Human Rights per se, provided that properly enforced safeguards to minimise indiscriminate spying are in force – and this is where UK.gov’s arguments fell apart.
[…]

5 Likes

Boeing fined $17m after fitting uncertified sensors to 737 Max and NG airliners for 4 years

Boeing has paid the US Federal Aviation Administration $17m after fitting hundreds of 737 NG and Max airliners with heads-up guidance system sensors (HUGSS) that hadn’t been properly certified as safe for use.
[…]

5 Likes

a class act. lee then wrote the register to say:

As it relates to the channel takeovers, there is a deep culture on IRC that grooms a culture of people speaking without thinking…if my being a target of their attack gives them purpose in life, I am very happy and honored to be able to give them such purpose.

funny that he’d want to run freenode, if irc breeds such a terrible culture.

2 Likes
11 Likes

Remember Tom Cruise’s rant last December about COVID protocols on set?

3 Likes

Oh, I would be surprised if they didn’t see the potential headline, "United Breaks the Sound Barrier: Why Not? They Break Everything Else."

boo yah s galore GIF

4 Likes

What a pointless endeavor. The article cites operating costs and noise as the reason for Concorde’s failure, but leaves out that there just wasn’t enough people who needed to travel so quickly. Lie-down beds in business class make overseas corporate travel less of a drag than it was back when Concorde was designed.

Add in Zoom’s proliferation and again I ask, what’s the point?

3 Likes

Somewhere in the North America, there’s a place where they fly in fresh baguettes from Paris every morning, they’ll be even fresher…

Sorry, that’s about all I could come up with.

2 Likes