Following lightning strike, woman has lived for 50+ years solely on water and soft drinks

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2023/11/30/following-lightning-strike-woman-has-lived-for-50-years-solely-on-water-and-soft-drinks.html

7 Likes

My BS meter is going wild on this one.

38 Likes

Ooooh - can you let me know which model BS meter you use? I need a new one, mine having just blown up after the first couple of sentences.

16 Likes

Is this some Breatharian BS? 'Cuz it sounds like some Breatharian BS.

20 Likes

I don’t know the brand, but it’s the non-political model. Those don’t work well these days.

4 Likes

Yeah, human physiology is not gonna mutate to something that alien because of a friggin’ lightning strike. Sorry, BS.

21 Likes

Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

13 Likes

Yep. Not buying.

6 Likes

Is it strange that the thing I’m most curious about is if she was a good cook?

5 Likes

I mean, the question here is if one of the “soft drinks” is a protein/vitamin drink similar to Ensure or Boost here in the States. Being on a liquid diet is something that occasionally needs to happen in old age, due to digestion issues or dental issues or certain surgeries.

Consuming only, say, Coke or Fanta would be shocking. Being on an all liquid diet with protein/vitamin drinks in old age, just not shocking in the slightest.

7 Likes

Enough of your mockery, people, this has precedence:

light2

5 Likes

I don’t remember Storm surviving on only water and soda, though.

6 Likes

Well, you ever see her eat a Subway?

7 Likes

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

5 Likes

Because I think you might have medical training based on previous posts - need to ask: what happens to humans that do not eat protein, complex carbs etc other than ‘dying’?

I suspect rapid weight loss followed by organ failure then death - but I’m not a real doctor :slight_smile:

season 4 hospital GIF

8 Likes

After my thoracic surgery, I lost my sense of taste for a few months. When that happens, you quickly find out that the act of eating is gross and quickly lose your appetite. Anything that has any texture to it is unpleasant so I survived on Ensure, yogurt, oatmeal and fruit.
If you want to invent a diet pill that really works, make one that causes you to lose your sense of taste.

10 Likes

According to the timeline, she would’ve been struck in her teens and totally given up solid foods by her early twenties, so the old age aspect doesn’t fit this case.

5 Likes

But at what cost?

10 Likes

TW: Photos of dying children are nasty and should not be viewed by folks with any humanity. But hey, you ask a doc a question…

Kwashiorkor. This is protein malnutrition while getting carbs and calories. Loss of proteins in blood leads to fluid leaking into tissues and massive edema.

Or marasmus. This is protein calorie malnutrition, when you are getting basically nothing. Loss of pretty much all subcutaneous tissue leads to “wrinkly old man” appearance.

Handy guide

8 Likes

So why the round stomachs? The surrounding tissue is full of fluids?

5 Likes