Food reviewer really likes American cheese

Hah. Funny because it’s true.

In other news, Nate Silver was giving the Cubs a 20% shot at winning the World Series this year, so maybe there’s always… this year?!?

1 Like

Or a chip butty.

5 Likes

Here, we call them Berner Würstchen. And the sausages have bits of Emmentaler in them.

American cheese just tastes awful. As I grew up in Iowa, I thought I hated all cheese because of it*, and it took me going to Germany to discover what real cheese is like. Now I love camembert, gouda, Emmentaler, Butterkäse, real British and Irish cheddar, Pecorino, feta, brie…

*Mozzarella didn’t count so pizza was OK, but cheeseburgers were yuck.

4 Likes

Now you’ve got me thinking… chip and bacon butty…?

1 Like

A friend got a Stilton in a crockery pot as a gift. He left it for a few months, to get lively. When he decided to tuck in, he reached up to get it off a high shelf, the pot tipped, and he was drenched in liquefied blue cheese.

4 Likes

Spoonful of baked beans goes there.

2 Likes

Some American cheese is made with blends of cheddar, like Boar’s Head. It’s the Cheese Food Product crap you have to watch out for.

2 Likes

Hot dogs need ketchup like the earth needs the sun. Finis.

2 Likes

The proper distance between the two is 150,000,000 km?

8 Likes

Under EU regulations American “cheese” is actually classed as a building material.

7 Likes

Well, of course you need the heat of the baked beans, to make certain that the cheese melts over the chips and bacon :smiley:

2 Likes

I live within walking distance of more places than I care to count that will serve you just that.

2 Likes

I think it counts as the National Dish in Canada, and a light snack in Scotland.

2 Likes

Blends of Cheddar

How do you blend Cheddars? Do you melt 'em all up in a big pot and set it again? <shudders>

2 Likes

Sounds like an alloy of cheese.

1 Like

I was a bit worried that would be an NSFW link to the Urban Dictionary, but instead, I learned a wonderful new word.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

2 Likes

All cheese is processed. There is no such thing as “natural” cheese. It just so happens that the specific “process” for creating the kind of cheese being discussed here was developed in Switzerland, not America, so you can thank Europe for that.

Another interesting factoid is that the reason Amercan cheese is dyed yellow is that, a long time ago, Amercans would dye their cheese with Annato so it could easily be identified when selling it. It was so popular with Europeans that it became the standard.

You’re welcome.

3 Likes

??? It’s not standard to use annatto in European cheeses.

2 Likes

It became the standard to dye Amercan cheese yellow…
because it was so popular with Europeans.

It wasn’t popular with Europeans. Dairy farmers in England (not even all of what we consider the U.K.) colored their cheese to hide the fact that it had differing amounts of tasty fat in it from grass-fed cows, depending on the time of year and/or the skimming off of the fat to sell separately. That was a specific time in history, and even English cheeses from more recent times do not do this. I can’t think of a single continental European cheese that used or uses annatto. Maybe there is one or two I don’t know about, but it’s really not a thing.

7 Likes