7 Likes
6 Likes

Oooh like his inktraps.

1 Like

7 Likes

9 Likes

Yeah, I hate it when that happens.

3 Likes

Remarkably, Cobden-Sanderson recorded in his journals the exact date and location that he dumped the type into the water, which took him 170 trips to discard in its entirety. With each load weighing around 15 to 20 pounds, that’s a lot of metal. For 98 years, the type remained on the riverbed, much of it washed away over the decades or sunken into the silt as the tidal flow continually rose and fell.

When the search concluded, Green and the team recovered a total of 151 sorts, or individual pieces of type, out of a possible 500,000. Green has a hunch that, deep down, Cobden-Sanderson didn’t want the type to disappear into ultimate obscurity, or he wouldn’t have detailed exactly where he had thrown it. And while the group recovered only a tiny fraction of the overall set, the find connected enthusiasts to a precise moment in history and allowed Green to further fine-tune his digitized version.

That “I”, though:

4 Likes

See also

It’s strange. As far as I know nothing new happened with the Doves type in the last few years, yet I see it pop up everywhere the last three weeks or so.

5 Likes

Almost like it had sunk without trace.

7 Likes

tumblr_3862a7606b4e03650d1362fb03d38d6a_0de2e218_500

Rest of alphabet at link.

7 Likes

Basilic?

French for basil? Or pertaining to a basilica (“that’s a very basilic church you have there”)?

A basilisk it ain’t

1 Like

Basilesque?

ezgif.com-added-text

1 Like

10 Likes
4 Likes

11 Likes

8 Likes