Footage from Varda capsule re-entering Earth's atmosphere is a trip

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/28/footage-from-varda-capsule-re-entering-earths-atmosphere-is-a-trip.html

12 Likes

I thought that the producers of the TV series Constellation did a good job showing a re-entry scenario. Astronauts had a convincing HOLY SHIT! watching the plasma burn on the way down to Earth from the Space Station.

3 Likes

Very cool!

And extra bonus points for NOT adding a soundtrack of stirring inspirational music!

9 Likes

So what causes that “hyperspace” look? Is that dust and particles in the upper atmosphere? Burning/shedding of shielding? I’m more curious after watching than I was before!

5 Likes

An altimeter would have been nice. I feel like the transition from burning reentry to clouds was faster than I expected. Some sense of speed or rate of decent would have helped.

2 Likes

That’s one sturdy meringue cookie from what it looks like to me, maybe a firmly iced custom Pepperidge Farms cake…

well baked either way!

I’ll never be cruel to a jynnan tonnyx again!

I’m confused about the depth of field of this camera. How come both the capsule and the Earth are in focus?

2 Likes

So my guess is those streaks are material ablating off the leading edge. But I dunno. Pretty spectacular!

1 Like

Ablatives gonna ablate.

1 Like

There were several dissolves in the video between one phase of re-entry and the next, so we’re not getting the full real-time footage here.
Still neat footage, of course.

2 Likes

Occam’s razor would probably indicate it’s just a prop on a sound stage…
The capsule might not even be real. Physical props aren’t as common as they once were.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.