Footage shows Louisville police shooting pepper rounds at news crew

Name of app?

Several times I could have used that, in seriousness. I’ve been hassled by cops for stargazing. Actually was just stargazing. While white, in a liberal city no less. They pointed a spotlight directly in my face the entire time, and carded both me and my girlfriend while treating us like shit- for stargazing.

No alcohol or drugs- I was just watching the damn stars.

Have I mentioned before how much I hate the police? I have? Ok, good!

18 Likes
14 Likes

I’d have to Google it. Besides, for security reasons, you’d be better off going straight to the ACLU rather than trust me.

7 Likes

This is becoming a sick theme with these people. It needs to stop

5 Likes

Just getting started:

16 Likes

If we’re lucky they’ll start the usual wars over who is the One True Heir to Trump.

5 Likes

Yeah, saw that earlier on NPR reading about the protests. Seems like someone might have carried out an assassination using the protest as a cover

4 Likes

That contrast highlights a facet of the problem. When white armed men violate the law, they get a pass, and in the big picture, that’s just as bad as the police over-reaction to protests by POC. It’s two sides of the same coin.

27 Likes

^This. exactly this.

4 Likes

Yup. My daughter asked if there has ever been a time in America when it wasn’t like this. I answered, “1491?”

25 Likes

Power imbalance:

POC have none, White men have it all… and yet everyone is still expected to pay taxes and ‘contribute to society,’ even though “society” only really serves a very scant few of its’ members.

31 Likes

“Europeans, tired of fucking each other over, travelled further afield in search of newer cultures to enslave and loot.”
“What year was that?”
“All of them.”

36 Likes

On the iOS app store, search on ‘ACLU’ and you’ll see multiple instances of an app called ‘Mobile Justice — Your State’. Presuming there are fifty+, can’t be bothered to scroll-n-count.

11 Likes

NARRATOR: “They weren’t lucky.”

8 Likes

Every day, I am reminded that the U.S. is becoming more entrenched as a either an embryonic failed state, or a more matured police state, or hey why not both. :face_vomiting:

https://knightcenter.utexas.edu/blog/un-names-journalism-one-most-dangerous-professions-world

… which has this blurb: “Chilling study, based on careful and courageous reporting, and illuminated with perceptive analysis, helps us understand all too well the saying that man is a wolf to man.” —Noam Chomsky

16 Likes

According to her next tweet she won’t lose the eye :blush:

EDIT: It appears i spoke too soon. She won’t lose the eye but has permanently lost the vision in that eye. Awful business.

31 Likes

I hear what you’re saying, but the difference is that when white men violate the law, they are usually not even inconvenienced, whereas black men – merely by existing – are routinely harmed and killed. Those aren’t equal and opposites sides of some coin.

24 Likes

It’s like an evil TARDIS coin; bigger on one side.

22 Likes

I completely agree. My analogy was intended to be limited to the topic of protest, but it fails to account for the underlying reasons for the protests. There is also heavy imbalance there; one protest is for the “right” to be served by others while endangering them, while the other protest is against violation of fundamental human rights by those who are entrusted to protect those rights.

16 Likes

5 Likes