For just $14 a night, you can sleep on the edge of Mont Blanc in a steel tube

Originally published at: For just $14 a night, you can sleep on the edge of Mont Blanc in a steel tube | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Amazing footage.

Now, I just have to wait for my stomach-knots to untie themselves. Seeing people in high places is enough to trigger my flight reaction.

8 Likes

Nope. You couldn’t pay me enough to stay in that.

7 Likes

$14/night

$100,000/rescue

10 Likes

I’m curious to know if it includes a pay toilet too. Not many options up there. Can’t even dig a hole in those rocks.

6 Likes

I suppose what one should expect for a $14/night retreat.

3 Likes

Sleeping in the precarious tube doesn’t bother me, it’s the climb I worry about. I don’t have any experience with alpine climbing although that looks pretty basic. They also had nice weather, which is another consideration.

Probably pack out your waste. Can’t even compost it up there.

3 Likes

What a great video - this is the kind of thing you do when you’re young if you can.
Awesome memories for them.

5 Likes

Yeah, “Mont Brun” doesn’t have the same ring to it, does it?

5 Likes

My favourite part is when one of them got up in the middle of the night to go to the loo and plunged to their death.

1 Like

I think I’ll stick with this Mont Blanc tube.

6 Likes

I’m just back from completing the Alta Via n1 in Valle d’Aosta with a CAI trek.
The Gervasutti was definitely occupied while I was in Bonatti hut (2023-08-19), we could see some lights going on and off in the evening.

Just skimmed the video, but shorts and no crampons? No good.

4 Likes

Doing more now that I’m (barely) closer to being 100 than 20.
“if you can” is the key, your body, your time, your money, and all the other life encumbrances pose limits at any age.

3 Likes

Yes, for sure.
10 years ago, my wife and I did a guided High Sierra loop in the Yosemite back country - 4 days of hiking at altitude. There were 12 of us.
We actually trained for that for 6 months prior to doing it. We were already hikers, but never with any weight. It was pretty tough by the last climb from 8K feet to 10k, but man was it worth it. I was 47 at the time, my wife 40. There were older hikers in our group and while they struggled on that climb, they did pretty well.
This one “tough guy” weight lifter dude couldn’t do it with his pack, though. The ranger carried his and his own the last 1000 feet of elevation change.
Those days are some of my most memorable ever, and we met people from all over the country who lucked out with the lottery for permits to do this.

3 Likes

Lovely!
As said I’m just back from 9 days of trekking, for a total elevation of about 10000 m and 150 km.
Some days we climbed 1600-1800 m but mostly on easy terrains, and just a couple of places with some exposition.

LOL! Not the first I hear and see this.

1 Like

Right? Also, no gloves on those poly ropes is a big NOPE from me!

1 Like

Maybe they’re on timers to discourage burglars? :smile:

Also, what the heck was their Plan B if they couldn’t make the bivacco before dark? He only had a little pack, and I think that was for the drone and camera stuff.

3 Likes

I assumed that the drone and other gear was being carried by a support team out of view. Maybe watching too many “reality” videos, where you know the adventurous presenters (or Top Gear chuckle-fucks) have got a crew just out of shot. At least I hope the pair in this video weren’t as alone as they looked.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.