"For many conservatives the real enemy was never Russia anyway. The real enemy was liberals."

A used bookstore a few blocks from me had similar signs in its front window up until mid-2015 when it finally closed. It was also known for dealing in stolen merchandise and its sizable section devoted to the history of the KKK, but that’s another story.

I suspect the owner blames Obama for his loss of business.

8 Likes

7 Likes

Regarding the article, it just goes to show something that I’ve been saying for a while: In the US, we don’t have actual conservatives anymore, beyond a few aberrations. Instead, we have reactionaries who identify as conservatives, but don’t actually have consistent principles that they stand for and work towards, but instead define themselves by what they’re against.

Meanwhile, the rich fund media coverage of what they like, and H. Resident Rump added the innovation of funding media coverage of what he liked about himself.

4 Likes

To be further fair, seems to me like the next to the last one could have been protesting any administration, unless there’s some subtle code I missed.

1 Like

I had an experience like this once. In a university class I was reading a book written in Spanglish. Some of it was basically English with some Spanish words, but sometimes there were whole paragraphs in Spanish. The professor said, “Don’t get too hung up on the Spanish.” I thought, “What the hell does that mean?”

(It was political theory, not fiction, so I could just paper over blanks)

I spent the first two chapters being frustrated and then just said, “Screw it” and started reading the Spanish, which it turned out I could do mostly fine (Sesame Street Spanish and some highschool Latin might have helped as well)

4 Likes

Here’s a good article related to this issue of a vote for Trump being a vote for a certain worldview:

I always heard Portuguese as Spanish with a French accent, and Catalan as French with a Spanish accent. But I say this as someone who, at best, speaks very very little of any of these languages.

Italian, on the other hand – I once went to find a book in the library only to find that it was in Italian. Granted, while I was already familiar with the subject, I found the text to be pretty damn near comprehensible.

1 Like

I had many frustrating linguistic moments while studying the history of science.

In that field, it’s common for papers to be written in a promiscuous untranslated mix of english, french, italian, spanish, latin and ancient greek. It’s just assumed that any serious scholar in the field will have the relevant languages.

4 Likes

what about German?

A bit, but a lot of the topic is from before writing in German was much of a thing.

The papers were usually mostly English; it’s just that they’d toss in a non-English quotation every paragraph or so without bothering to translate it.

I recall my favourite History of Science lecturer telling a story about his doctoral supervisor. The supervisor told him that he’d need to learn half a dozen languages, which seemed difficult but not impossible. But then he discovered that his supervisor considered French/Italian/Spanish/etc as mere dialects, so they only counted as one language collectively…

6 Likes

what about German?

Elements, mostly, and a bunch of political shit around real science that ended in a diaspora, even if that dream involved hiding out in a corporate-state bureacracy for long enough to be shipped to the new occupying superpower. And ignoring the role of slaves in your career, if possible.

No, sorry, you don’t get to rob women and people of color of their moral agency like that. That sort of attitude is no more and no less than warmed over Victorian stereotypes of angelic women and noble savages. And these may sound nice, briefly, but they still reserve full moral agency only for the few.

No. Women and people of color are human—fully human—and their influence on the world will be human too: as messy, magnificent, and malignant as you’d expect.

Besides, it’s a tad parochial to say that ‘white men’ run the world. The Sinosphere with its vast population and ancient culture has been conducting its affairs with hardly any white men for going on five thousand years. And depending on what you think of as ‘white,’ much the same can be said of Persia and India.

This topic was automatically closed after 38 days. New replies are no longer allowed.