For more than a decade, Facebook shared your friends' data and other sensitive info with phone makers, even after they claimed not to (they're still doing it)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/05/surveillance-sophistry.html

3 Likes

When I took my parents to see “Deadpool 2” this past weekend, there was a Facebook commercial stating how they’ve seen the error of their ways and everything is going to change for the better.

It was so convincing that it was almost difficult to laugh, jeer and make disparaging comments. Somehow we still managed.

(eta) Hah! This one!

3 Likes

so how many other companies are acting as agents of Faceboook?

2 Likes

Boo facebook and all that… but just wanted to say, Nokia’s E7x phones were, and are still, the sexiest damn things ever made.

(Sorry, the banana curves don’t do it for me. I may also have used early palm devices at a very impressionable age. When a Palm 3 is your baseline…)

3 Likes

Getting a lot of milage out’a this gif, a whole lot.

BiodegradableIdleGelding-max-1mb

5 Likes

The true stupidly of this is Facebook believes they know users better then the user knows themselves, but has now idea who has access to the data, and has no idea who is buying advertising on the site.

When MySpace and Facebook were becoming popular, those site had no privacy. Anyone (without signing-up) could view everything on a persons site. It wasn’t until people started complaining that their ex was stalking, employers were firing people for posts, that FB implemented privacy controls. It’s still in their nature to have all of a persons data exposed to everyone; Everyone who doesn’t work for Facebook

1 Like

Anyone who thinks that FB is telling the truth about changing its ways hasn’t been paying attention.

1 Like

Those dumbass ads are plastered all over the local subway right now.

Like:

To think, many of my friends used to act like I was some kind of Luddite for never doing any social media on my phone or any handheld device…

3 Likes

Hey, guess what! Speaking of sharing data, the Badger says this BB post has 24 third-party trackers embedded!

4 Likes
2 Likes

Brave tells me that it is blocking 35 scripts right now.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.