Facebook finally has a form where you can check whether Cambridge Analytica stole your data

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/10/the-more-you-know.html

2 Likes

Mine said I wasn’t one of the 87 million whose data was shared at all, but one of my Facebook friends’ was. So mine was.

True story.

5 Likes

Is anyone asking Facebook what those of us who deleted our accounts can do to find out if we were included in the “sharing?”

Believe me, you likely were included: if any of your Facebook friends unwittingly opted-in to the “sharing”, some of your data was included. It’s now beginning to look like it was way more than 87 million people affected.

If only they would disclose to you which of your Facebook friends compromised your privacy!

My account was suspended (they don’t give reasons) and they demand a copy of driver’s licence or birth certificate to apply to have it back. Should I give them this data to find out if they lost my other data?

4 Likes

What an interesting use of the word “steal.” I vaguely recall suggesting people shouldn’t trust Facebook with private stuff, and I seem to recall the threat of a ban for “victim blaming.”

2 Likes

Based on our available records, neither you nor your friends logged into “This Is Your Digital Life.”
As a result, it doesn’t appear your Facebook information was shared with Cambridge Analytica by “This Is Your Digital Life.”

Well, that’s good news.

2 Likes

“Well, you didn’t eat from this can of botulism-infected tuna, so it didn’t afflict you. Should you worry about the e. coli tainted lettuce over there, or the melamine-laced baby food?”

5 Likes

Logical falicy much?

1 Like

It would be wonderful if there were to be a class action lawsuit, where the defendants are awarded Zuck’s Facebook stock.

I’m sorry; I mistook the comment as having a missing /sarcasm tag. Of course I’m concerned. I don’t Facebook, but many of my friends do, and I object to having FB scrape my info without permission (regardless of whether other companies do it too.)

2 Likes

That wording is very suspect. It doesn’t preclude that the data was shared, or that it wasn’t shared with CA by this is your life or that CA did not obtain your data by any other means.

4 Likes

Yeah, quite true. In their (supposed) attempt to be clear, they instead appear to be evasive by being overly specific.

2 Likes

It just took a couple dozen fools in Australia taking the quiz to result in 100s of thousands of slightly less foolish people getting exposed in the breach:

5 Likes

Neither myself nor my friends’ data was shared. What a relief!

1 Like

I think it would be more apt to say “people entrusted their data to Facebook and Facebook sold it”.

That trust may have been misplaced, but it’s not like Facebook lists all the people it sells your data to in your friends list.

People are only dimly aware of what happens to their data, or even what that data consists of.

I’d be interested to see some sort of “gas pump” solution to privacy. People have this heightened awareness of gasoline prices because they watch the numbers tick by at the pump, even though it’s a relatively small expenditure compared to lots of other things.

In my imagined regulatory world tech companies would have to provide some exact representation of the data that they share about you whenever they share it. No idea if that’s even possible, but it would be interesting.

FTFY.
I don’t know if you wanted it fixed, but there it is anyway. :smiley:

No. That would be an invasion of privacy.

4 Likes

Yep. FB

All info that I know has been out there in BigData’s pocket for years. Still doesn’t make me any less angry; I read EULAs and Terms & Conditions and choose carefully what I share and what I don’t, and yet my “friends” can be careless and I get info taken that I didn’t choose to share.

Sorta like having a friend of a friend steal jewelry from a room that was supposed to be off-limits during a party.

5 Likes

I mean I get where you’re coming from but people do get lots of stuff they want by Sharon data about themselves that they aren’t very attached to. I’d say I’m more pro-transparency than pro-prohibition.

1 Like