Facebook finally has a form where you can check whether Cambridge Analytica stole your data

Code behind the form…

Do you have a Facebook account (Y/N):

N = nothing to worry about
Y = of course they have it. If not them, someone just as bad.

3 Likes

I think the answer is - all of them.

2 Likes

So what price is Facebook getting for selling the data collected from these forms?

3 Likes

I agree that the data was not stolen by Cambridge Analytica from Facebook, it was sold, this is regular behaviour. I disagree with the fact that all this data was freely given to Facebook by the users.

People first and foremost create a Facebook account with the intention of keeping up with people they know not with a data sharing intention.

Now, you will inevitably share some personal info, you can try and limit the amount of data you share, fill in a fake name, fill in a fake birthday, even go as far as to click like on some thing you don’t really like (that’ll show em!).

Then Facebook tracks:

• What you look at on Facebook, how long you look at it, whether you interact with it.
  • From what location you connect and for how long.
  • What you type into the “post” box even when you don’t end up sharing it, same with video.
  • When you are logged in Facebook tracks you on all sites that have a Facebook button or Facebook chat sections.
  • When you have the app installed on your phone (sometimes it’s nearly impossible to delete) it can track your calls and texts (outside of the Facebook app, your regular calls and texts).
  • It tries to recognize your face in photo’s, all photo’s uploaded by anyone, all it takes is one friend tagging you in a photo once.
  • Even if you never signed up it will try to do most of these things as well as possible with a shadow profile (especially the webtracking via buttons and such).

And I surely forgot some other stuff they track.

How many of the items in that list would you say were data points carelessly given to Facebook?

How many would you categorize as meticulously gathered because explicit consent for this is not necessary and customers don’t really notice it’s going on?

The problem is how Facebook managed to get this big of a profile on us in the first place, not that they sold this profile to a company that used it for political goals instead of the usual marketing goals.

5 Likes

This is a bit like going through your Stasi file after 1990 and finding out who amongst your friends and family was actually an informer.
Yes, I’m aware it’s different, but this is what it reminds me of.

(I know people who had this very experience. I also know people who didn’t inspect their files for exactly this reason. My own request drew a blank, apparently mine was one of the files they managed to shred. Given my family background there is no way they didn’t have a file on me.)

Looks like my profile wasn’t scraped. It seems like I’m way too boring to be marketed to. I guess Babylon 5 Drazi memes and whining about my failed antenna projects aren’t a demographic that’s big.

1 Like

I hereby request to be tagged as J’onn J’onzz.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.