For sale: charred remains of Aleister Crowley and Jimmy Page's Loch Ness home

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/19/for-sale-charred-remains-of-a.html

4 Likes

I dunno. Seems like a horrible place to live.

My first thought from the headline, of course, was “Why would Jimmy Page keep Aleister Crowley’s ashes at his Loch Ness home? Are the ashes in some sort of shrine that can’t be separated from the house?”

10 Likes

Yes, consents. It’s a Category B1) listed building, and as it looks like, outside a built-up area to boot. Listed building consent must be obtained from local authorities before any alteration to a listed structure.
Which most likely comes down to restoring it “as it was” on the outside with some smaller modifications on the inside. Building anything larger is probably right out.

1) Buildings of regional or more than local importance, or major examples of some particular period, style or building type which may have been altered.

2 Likes

So is it possible to renovate the interior without purging the holy guardian angels and Enochian aethyrs?

8 Likes

seems like 200,000 squiggly fancy L money is not a bad deal for 9.3 hectares.

obviously i have no clue how much either of those amounts are. could be 5 square feet for 8 million dollars for all i know, but someone that has access to a system that you can easily search for this type of info may be able to figure out if this is indeed a good deal.

2 Likes

Hey kids!
https://kids.kiddle.co/Boleskine_House

1 Like

5 Likes

That’s ₹40.54/cubit², if that helps.

9 Likes

whooooooosh* :grinning:

1 Like

I took it to mean they were roommates, and now I’m thinking it would make a great sitcom.

2 Likes

Is that really a 36/37-year-old Crowley? The eternal-youth magick must have worked at first: one wonders what later went wrong.

3 Likes

That’ll be $259,923 for 23 acres, near as dammit.
Considering my 1930’s semi-detached house is worth nearly £200,000/$253,425, with a garden the size of a large garage out back, and space out front for three cars parked side by side, I’d say that was a hell of a bargain.
If you’ll excuse the pun…

3 Likes

Well, A) your property includes a, you know, house, B) if it didn’t you wouldn’t basically be told exactly what the house you were going to build on it had to look like and C) location, location…

Goldfinger__Q__I%20never%20joke%20about%20my%20work

2 Likes

Are you kidding? It was the best buddy-cop movie in years!

3 Likes

I know Crowley was one of the first people to attempt to climb K2 in the Himalayas. Which, given the state of climbing equipment at the turn of the 20th century, combined with that mountain’s reputation for chewing through climbers, I’d wager that’d put some years on a person.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.