You can buy the ruins of a haunted Scottish village for just $173,000

Originally published at: You can buy the ruins of a haunted Scottish village for just $173,000 | Boing Boing

3 Likes

That private beach looks beautiful. But I bet it is too cold to enjoy most of the time.

Not unlike Lake Michigan where on 98 degree days you’ll see 5k people on the beach and about 20 people in the water.

6 Likes

Yeah, but there’s no wildfire season :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I see it’s haunted by weeds, lots of them.

8 Likes

Contrasting against the Great Lakes region, there’s probably no biting black flies and poison ivy and lyme disease ticks ohgodwhy

6 Likes

This is the middle of Scotland, by water! Have you never heard of their notorious midges?

14 Likes

That looks like a nice spot for second breakfast.

15 Likes

Definitely not.

2 Likes

Well, now you have.

Midges are tiny flying insects with a wingspan of only 2-3mm. There are over 35 different species of biting midge in Scotland, but it is Culicoides impunctatus , otherwise known as the Highland Midge that earns its place as Scotland’s most ferocious foe.

You’ll be an all-you-can-eat buffet for their miniature scissor-like jaws if you foolishly venture out in ‘midge weather’ without your insect repellent.

2mm-of-terror-300x242

20 Likes

I could sell my place, buy that, and still have a little left over to live simply on.
I’d probably still have to tell my wife though.

7 Likes
3 Likes

Having lived in both Scotland and Northern Ontario - I really laughed at the Scotts who were trying to scare me with stories of how bad the bugs could be. Lol - I’ve seen the sun eclipsed by blackfly swarms. I’ve seen moose skulls in the river banks - all that was left of the noble animals when the blackflies were done feasting. I visited the POW camps we had set up for German soldiers in WWII - that had no guards because escapees would freeze to death in Winter, and be killed by the insects the rest of the year. (True story (just ignore all the new farmhands down South of the camps)).

Scottish mites are like Scottish winter - a mild annoyance compared to much of Canada.

9 Likes

And get planning permission for, and then build a new place to live in, on that plot. I’d probably go for it too, were it not for that.

4 Likes

Am I the only one who immediately thought of this?

7 Likes

No doubt there are listed structures, or it’s an AONB, or things of that nature that would immediately cost more than £173k if you wanted to do anything more than pitch a tent there. Plus there surely aren’t any utilities. And they probably had to wait several years for the day they took those photos.

Even so, I do very much want to buy this.

6 Likes

Futurama Shut Up And Take My Money GIF

Personally, I think I’d rather live in Ireland but I’ll take a haunted village in Scotland!!!

14 Likes

I’m in, too! Looking really nice from here. Wanna go halvsies?

9 Likes

What would we do with it? Live there or make it into a haunted tourist trap? Or Both? I say both!

9 Likes

Definitely both. And with the fishing rights, a farm to table dining option seems almost compulsory.

7 Likes

8 Likes