You can buy the ruins of a haunted Scottish village for just $173,000

So are we allowed to build a dwelling on it? Or is it like fishing and camping only? Because… I mean… Yes please.

4 Likes

download

(Edited because I really need to READ the gif before I post it)

2 Likes

4 Likes

This might be the beer talking, but I’d buy a haunted Scottish ruin with you folks any day.
I’ll promise to shut up… some of the time.
Let’s get a kickstarter going?
There’s a future Boudicca in this group to lead the way

4 Likes

The Scots are the people from Scotland, the Scotts are just one clan in Scotland (The clan chief is a distant cousin of mine)

13 Likes

More prosaically, if the tree was planted immediately outside the church its roots would extend under the church and undermine its foundations.

3 Likes

That’s a chunk of change for 3 acres of largely useless land in Scotland. You would have to really want those ruins and the fly fishing rights to buy that wee strip of land with no existing development rights and the overhead of the ruins being protected under a scheduled ancient monument order, and the woodland being classified as semi-ancient. As a guide, non-arable land in Scotland averages around $3500 an acre. You can buy cottages with plumbing and electricity on more land for less money.

9 Likes

In Scotland???

I don’t live in Scotland but just across the sea from its northernmost bits and the midges we get are the same ones. My forearms are currently covered in red splotches

1 Like

Keep up! :wink:

5 Likes

I was just so shocked by the idea that Scotland of all places would be considered a place without annoying tiny little biting insects that I had to express my outrage

3 Likes

I’d like to buy it, and then just leave it as it is.

3 Likes

You wouldn’t be allowed to do anything else.

4 Likes

You might be allowed to restore the ruins, but only if they are nearly identical to what was there before. Enjoy your life of outside toilets and no electricity. Some people might enjoy that, but I am not that desperate for solitude.

I have wished I could build a house on St Kilda, or more precisely an anarchist commune outside the protected areas, but that is just wishful thinking and wanting to get far away from bigotry.

7 Likes

It has a GHOST and it’s on a LOCH! How is that useless? A GHOST!!!

The ghost would probably like that!

That sounds like heaven!

9 Likes

So, if I were to buy this kind of land I would like to build a self-sustainable small village with permaculture and good Internet and keep the historic parts preserved as cultural local heritage, maybe with some trained guides to keep its history alive.

Are you saying that the entire plot is undevelopable? Why people would buy it then?

4 Likes

Scottish punk band name!

9 Likes

Seems that way.

They haven’t.

3 Likes

And @evilkolbot

It is likely that it is undevelopable and water/power services might be an issue, but the property listing does hold out hope…

“Grass paddock with potential planning opportunity” - but does not state what sort of “opportunity” there may be “potential” for.

Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 12.23.37

2 Likes

If I were a pagan witch that could see the future I would totally troll the church doing exactly this.

2 Likes

There’s a huge body of sweet water right in front of the property and we know that there were mills around. Electricity could be obtained by a combination of solar and other resources like wind, of course this would demand a study to see what kind of clean energy would be more doable.

The question is: the land is a lemon, but how big of one? If it was a part of an ensemble - this bit can be used, this bit must be preserved - it could get interesting. Even the “fishing rights” bit needs structure - a bathroom, some cover from rain.

It’s weird that the lemon bit isn’t even the ghost but the paperwork :joy:

2 Likes