You can buy the ruins of a haunted Scottish village for just $173,000

My point about water/power service being an issue was (and I should have stated it clearly) that it was likely only fit for off-grid dwelling even if you got permission for a dwelling. Which in general you mostly won’t get planning permission for in UK without such services. Gonna have to work very hard to persuade local authority that it is viable.

The body of water may not come with extraction rights and then there is the issue of purification. Which may need power (?)

But an off-grid dwelling, properly planned, designed and executed could well make this a very desirable place to live.

1 Like

I’m in! I’ve been looking for a place to retire, anyway…

3 Likes

A private beach?!? This just gets better and better :slight_smile:
Daydreaming about this is even more fun than daydreaming about winning the lottery the one time every few years that I buy a ticket.

2 Likes

I guess I’ve never experienced Scottish bugs properly (despite having been hiking around the Ben Lawers area and other regions) during the appropriate times of year, maybe I’m not tasty enough, but I’ve always wondered given my glorious experiences in Quetico and BWCA how bad Scotland’s bugs really were in comparison. I appreciate that you’ve given me a bit of comparative sampling.

This says to me you might never have been to Loch Tay or Ben Lawers, because midges and other unky critters aside, the area is relaxing, hikable, campable, peaceful, and a LOT of areas around the loch have significant historical value. If it’s an area you are looking to turn a quick $/£/€ from it, yeah, it is almost certainly a sink. But as a place to have and preserve? Man, if my father’s estate were settled…. I’d be looking for a lawyer immediately to see about my prospects.

Ah, we call those things “no see ums” up here. They are particularly vicious this year. The idea does somewhat dampen the idea of chillaxing on this acreage. The welts they leave last for two weeks, and I haven’t found much use with various insect repellants.
But a ghost…and ruins…and trout fishing…still quite tempting.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.