Strange black substance on Maine beaches turns out to be millions of dead bugs

Originally published at: Strange black substance on Maine beaches turns out to be millions of dead bugs | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Just one more sign of the coming apocalypse.

Unfortunately faith in some god or another (take your pick) isn’t going to save you.

6 Likes

The beach thawed! Now the shed building season can begin anew…

3 Likes

Something mysterious crawling out of the sea in Maine? Are the stars finally right?

" Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn ."

15 Likes

schitts creek no GIF by CBC

12 Likes

It’ll be interesting if/when they figure out what kind of bugs they are. Maybe Maine’s infamous black fly population got overheated and decided to take a swim. Which would be no huge loss to the state.

5 Likes

Look, humans interacting with nature.

8 Likes

In the end, nothing saves anyone, in the physical sense. So maybe let someone take comfort where they can now & then.

Don’t worry everyone; the black residue has been positively identified as idiopathic necroslurry. Carry on.

3 Likes

Don’t know if it’s related, but up in some parts of the Eastern Townships (in Canada, close to the border), we’ve had an invasion of flea beetles (“altise” in french). They’re tiny critters, no bigger than a grain of pepper, and jump everywhere when you walk around after 6pm. They don’t bite, and aren’t fleas, but they’re annoying as can be :smiley:

I bet the dumb little critters just jumped around and ended up in the waterways in huge numbers, what with the lack of rain and very high temperatures.

Altise [edited, wrong link provided]

7 Likes

Hebbo!

I remember visiting Florida, there was a line in the sand of dead “love bugs” on the beach washed up by the waves. Bleh.

1 Like

Paper machet balloon, LEDs, pipe insulation, duct tape…

All that effort for a Halloween costume where the kids just thought I was a glowing watermelon.

And nobody even though twice about this one. Guess I need to instill more Lovecraft humor.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Translation : “Get your !@#$ together, Maine, your mosquito and black fly situation is out of control.”

1 Like

5 Likes

You could have gone as a Minecraft monster so terrifying he can break your computer:

When I followed my little guy around on Hallowe’en night kids seeing him from the back would say “It’s Steve!” until he turned around and they’d blanch “It’s Herobrine.” He succeeded at going as a scary monster!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.