For Sale: Offshore fortress and gun tower built in 1851

Well, it has power… (sewage and plumbing, I’m guessing not). As for heating - well, trying to heat a stone building with stone interiors and stone floors… good luck.

how much to ship it the sf bay?

1 Like

Somewhere some redneck just had the urge to say ‘hold my beer and watch this’ and he doesn’t know why…

5 Likes

There is some kind of sewage system. I’m not entirely sure what this means however. Do they just grind it up and spit it out into the bay?

2 Likes

I’m afraid not. It’s Grade II* Listed, which is different; of all Listed properties, 91.5% are Grade II, 6% are Grade II* and 2.5% are Grade I. It effectively means that any renovations would have to meet the original state, using materials indistinguishable from original, and pretty much everything would need inspection and sign-off by designated experts.

The good news is that the Listing appears to be solely of the exterior, so internal changes might - might - be an option.

Personally, my bargepole is going nowhere near it!
My sister owns a Listed cottage (I see it even has a Wikipedia page) and has had years of nightmares. The authorities prefer a leaking roof to an ‘inauthentic’ one.

Not necessarily (but probably…). It just means waste is ground to a size that can be moved by lower-than-standard water pressure.

4 Likes

Well then I will just have to heat up the rest of the world instead.

5 Likes

Sounds like that could just a septic tank.

The world is way ahead of you… The problem the UK is discovering right now is that those solid stone buildings also retain heat uncomfortably when temperatures get above 60-something.

1 Like

It’s got brass howitzers, the building inspectors can go F themselves. How far up that walkway would they realistically expect to get?

(this is why I’m not allowed to have a fortress…)

8 Likes

Sorry, folks. The Brits learned their lesson after Admiral Boom and Mister Binnacle…

10 Likes

I want to now that too! Huge selling point.

I’m sure you could get Trump to sell you Alcatraz. Just tell him it will make Nancy Pelosi upset.

2 Likes

The law in the UK governing muzzle-loading cannon is that they can be freely owned without a licence as an “ornament or curiosity” as long as there is no intent to fire them.

If you do intend to fire it, a cannon is considered a shotgun if the bore is under 2 in, or a firearm (more difficult to get a licence for) if larger- note that this means anything larger than a 1 pdr is a firearm. You also need a separate licence to acquire, keep or transport black powder.

5 Likes

Or go the french way:

1 Like

So with the proper licenses, one COULD defend themselves from pirates or the Spanish? Good to know!

3 Likes

But it would be a memorable way to bust open a vault.

2 Likes

I bet it’ll shoot a potato.

1 Like

Seems like the kind of place where accepting bitcoins for purchase would be worth the hassle.

1 Like

There are some very cool Martello Tower conversions out there

9 Likes

If this property was located in NY harbor, it would be a certainty that a developer would turn the two floors into four luxury apartments, and augment and partially enclose the parapet for use as a penthouse.

1 Like

I didn’t intend to fire it, honest! It just kind of happened. again.

6 Likes