For Sale: Offshore fortress and gun tower built in 1851

That sounds like a dare.

5 Likes

Damn the ammunition, what about the 33 men?

2 Likes

A macerating pump is a combination of a sharp, rotating chopping blade and a sewage pump. They’re typically used to push both graywater and blackwater sewage longish distances through a much smaller pipe than a normal gravity draining sewer pipe. For example, macerating pumps made for RVs or boats can push blackwater out through an ordinary garden hose to a drain, (but be careful not to confuse that hose with your freshwater hose!) They often require you to use special dissolving toilet paper, and not flush anything else, like regular toilet paper, tissues, food waste larger than particle size, etc. Once you clean them out a few times, you’ll know exactly what not to flush.

Permanent pumps are often installed in cabins or homes near bodies of water where the sewage has to be lifted up a hill to connect to a city sewer, or pushed hundreds of feet inland where a drain tile field can be installed that won’t directly empty into the water table.

4 Likes

Your post followed by some meandering (of course!) led me to the for sale listing for that house!

https://www.themodernhouse.com/sales-list/martello-tower-y/

It’s got a ton of great pictures of the house and setting. What an amazing house. 1.2 million GBP which is probably not any more than they spent restoring and modifying it!!

4 Likes

Montreal Man: How about a Brinks truck with an anti-aircraft gun?

http://archive.macleans.ca/article/1976/4/19/the-great-truck-robbery

1 Like

I can see my house from there!

For us gamers, its been done - Fallout 4 -

1 Like

I think most of us fantasize about owning a funky place like this, but the reality is it’s a nightmare, particularly for something that can be considered historical. Even ignoring the crazy upkeep you’d need on something this old and unique, there is the issue of remoteness-- you can find cool old churches and huge Victorian mansions for cheap out in the middle of nowhere, but unless you’re financially independent or work from home (now more common, thanks to the interwebs) you’re in for a hell of a commute.

2 Likes
1 Like

Video unavailable in your country :cry:
I assume that is the same one that I have seen before. The one used in gadgetman.

would not be aware of that necessarily

1 Like

I had to go look it up now and it is completely different.

This is the one I was thinking about:

I found the full episode of the one you linked and now I am going to go back to watch it.

well I don’t know…
used to work with a guy who won the pools and had an all timber house designed and built near detling kent only thing couldn’t find it
by chance

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.