Man must remove fish pond from backyard because intruders might be injured

[Read the post]

The UK version of swatting, huh? As long as no one catches you trashing their yard, you can cause a lot of damage quickly.

1 Like

Does this mean people arenā€™t allowed to keep potentially bitey dogs in their backyards either?

13 Likes

Right up there with HOAā€™s being able to keep you from having a clothes line. Or mandating you paint your lawn green when we all run out of water. Or whatever.
Housing associations (and Home Owners Associations) are the devilā€™s work and Iā€™ll never be part of one. Fuck that noise.

32 Likes

I feel like weā€™re missing some important details here. The picture on the BBC article doesnā€™t show a ā€œpond,ā€ it shows what looks like a huge, above-ground, shoddily constructed, straight-walled cinderblock vat.

The only person claiming that trespasser safety is the chief concern is the old guy who built the thing. Iā€™m all for questioning foolish HOA regulations, but that monstrosity almost certainly violates any number of conventional building codes.

EDIT: The more I know about this whole thing, the stupider the faux-libertarian outrage is. This guy is trying to build a permanent, commercial fish breeding facility, in the backyard of a property he rents but doesnā€™t own, for which he has not sought permission from the property owner.

36 Likes

Iā€™ll make sure to replace my glass windows with crystallized sugar so a burglar doesnā€™t cut themselves breaking in. Of course, Iā€™ll probably need to put a nutrition label on them, just to make sure any diabetic thieves arenā€™t unintentionally harmed.

5 Likes

At first I was "well, thatā€™s silly"
then seeing the picture, it looks like a commercial breeding facility.

4 Likes

A spokesman for Sovereign Housing said: ā€œThis is not about burglars, this is about making sure our homes are safe places for our residents and any visitors to the property. Weā€™re also liable if someone does trespass on the property.ā€

Ah, so another exaggerated post headline, soup rice, soup rice.

I guess though given the topic, itā€™s appropriate that I was baited into clicking. ba dum fisshh

13 Likes

The UK has ā€œfish pond policeā€, America is jealous.

4 Likes

Yeah! Oh I forgot Iā€™m the President of our HOA, sorry over caffeinated today.

4 Likes

Doesnā€™t seem any different from laws that require a homeowner to have their swimming pool fenced, even if there are no children in the home. Mentally replace ā€œpondā€ with ā€œbear trapsā€, and image there are small children and pets in the neighborhood.

3 Likes

Like anything: 1% dickheads cause 99% problem.
I just canā€™t stand the idea of people telling me what I can and canā€™t do with my property- and yes, I know my town has zoning and ordinances and whatever. But if I want to paint huge pink polka dots on my house (and I donā€™t want to, notthattheresanythingwrongwiththat) I donā€™t want some neighbor with an opinion telling me I canā€™t.
Itā€™s not a very practical thing for me, in many ways- Iā€™m deeply unlikely to do something outside the ordinary with such a large investment on the line- but I like knowing that if I wanted to I could.

Maybe itā€™s my own version of Walter Mitty?

6 Likes

Evil. Pure Evil.

6 Likes

Requirements to fence pools etc are quite common in some European countries, there were deaths involved.

As to this Gentlemen, Heā€™s spinning a line that our crappy press have picked up. The real details are in paragraph 19, as usual.

Heā€™s built a crappy pond thing (That blockwork is really bad), on property he doesnā€™t own, and appeared to be using it for business purposes.

A quote from the housing association (who own the property, itā€™s ā€˜publicā€™ housing):

Debbie Down, spokeswoman for Sovereign, said: ā€˜We donā€™t want to prevent anyone enjoying hobbies which may include fish keeping in a garden pond, but as the landlord we ask residents to get our permission if they intend running a business from their home or building a permanent structure.ā€™

28 Likes

I imagine something like this: They tell him that the thing is unsafe and has to go. He argues that it doesnā€™t matter because nobody except him has any business being there. They say thatā€™s not good enough. Then in his version that morphs into him being forced to bend over backwards to accommodate burglars.

6 Likes

Not at all, I used to own a 7 acre ranchette in Nor Cal, and I did as I wanted. I have great people as HOA Members and not so great. So depending on the Planetary positions, itā€™s a crap shoot every month. I did recently have to slap the wrist of a Member with a 10 barrel beer brewing system in his garage. Had he just disposed of the brewing slag properly, weā€™d never had known. The up-shot is he now he is composting with a local vegi grower and all is happy in our Hamlet, plus he it turns out he likes to share the brewing spoils with the HOA Members. Not a bad dayā€™s workā€¦

8 Likes

Itā€™s still being constructed. Since itā€™s not complete itā€™s hard to say what the end result would really look like, though the result would be at a minimum hideous. The councilā€™s complaint really is that he built a large permanent structure without permits, and I can see why theyā€™d have wanted building permits for something that scale. Also heā€™s building it on a rental and according to the Telegraph article the landlord is also pissed.

6 Likes

I wouldnā€™t call that shoddy. A fish pond for fun should be beautiful, but a fish pond for profit should be functional. He may claim to be a fish lover, but itā€™s likely heā€™s in business. Here in the US, running an industrial business in your backyard is generally a no-no.

2 Likes

Hey, we have Fish Police.

7 Likes

I think it may instead be your version of Mr. Plumbean from The Big Orange Spot by Daniel Pinkwater.

1 Like