For the first time, pigs have been filmed using tools

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/07/for-the-first-time-pigs-have.html

5 Likes

My neighbor’s pigs are always borrowing my tools and never bringing them back.

34 Likes

Smart? Yes. And they continue to be delicious.

8 Likes

Somebody invent a porcine wrench and put those hogs to work!
Who said “four legs bad”?
Monkeys are too sketchy, and lets face it, AI is too expensive in 3rd world countries.
Hand it over to pigs - and if they don’t cut it there is always prosciutto. What better incentive?
How difficult can it be to do some gene engineering and give them a hand with opposable thumbs? OK, a cartoon hand with 3 fingers then (and gloves).
Go the whole hog - graft a human voice box onto the swine and put them to work in Call Centers!

2 Likes

Intelligence and sentience are not exclusive to humans. Not even close. Our descendants, assuming we allow them to exist, will be horrified at how we treated other intelligent beings.

14 Likes

Further evidence of tool use in pigs can be found in the highly cited paper:
“Use of mixed materials in porcine dwelling construction, and their various resilience to lupine weather modification techniques”

26 Likes

That is an old old paper with minimal reproducibility until now. More recent citations required.

11 Likes

Vigorous refutations have been published questioning both methodology and conclusions…

7 Likes

Those scientists need to take a break now and again and watch some television. Pigs have been showing their skillz for years now.

Ziplinging:
Maxwell%20Pig

Jetskiing:

Maxwell%20Pig%20Jet%20ski

Using the phone:

Maxwell%20Pig%20SmartPhone

Eating pizza with a fork:

Trump%20-%20Pizza%20with%20a%20Fork

16 Likes

Pigapocalypse is among us! Rise and Repent! See the Revelation!

2 Likes

I was going to say, that I think the thumbnails of two consecutive posts were switched:

6 Likes

12 Likes

com-add-text%20(1)

9 Likes

To be fair, it’s hard to film anything without using at least one or two tools

4 Likes

That Visayan warty pig is a very pretty pig breed!

1 Like

Don’t overlook Goose’s A longitudinal cohort study of 5 piggies: one who went marketing, one who stayed home, one who ate roast beef, one who had none, and one who cried “wee, wee, wee” all the way home. (M. Goose, the Journal of Cautionary Tales and Nursery Rhyming, 1700)

You’d think that such a long running study would have methodological problems, but Goose brings a tremendous amount of rigor to the work; none of her many collaborators puts so much as a toe out of line.

10 Likes

Pretty sure that is how we got Rush Limbaugh. Let’s not try that again.

5 Likes

Does this mean we can’t have bacon anymore?

So, the Trump thumbnail here sort of blasts @docosc post re human intelligence and sentience out of the water!

2 Likes

Yeah, I got nothin’. Sentience is not evident in all (or maybe even most) humans, and that is certainly case in point.

2 Likes