Forbes removed article critical of Google after it asked nastily

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/09/01/forbes-removed-article-critica.html

2 Likes

Am I shocked that Google would try to fuck over even the “big guys” (content-wise) in their quest to push G+?

Am I unsurprised that, 6 years later, G+ was a huge flop?

Nope.

13 Likes

That’s how you succeed in social media: cater to the advertisers first, then the users will come.

Right?

5 Likes

Just because G+ flopped, doesn’t mean they stopped of course.

3 Likes

I still like G+ better than Facebook, but that’s damning it with faint praise.

12 Likes

Hmmmm… how do you define that?

I think of G+ as a huge, roaring success, at least compared to Facebook and Twitter. (Of course that’s like comparing a mediocre ham sandwich to a flaming baby and a nuclear meltdown.)

Only partly kidding.

4 Likes

Is it a premium mediocre sandwich? Air-cured ham and rocket on multi-seed grain bread?

If not, I’m not interested. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

A new motto for Google: Just be evil, but pretend you aren’t.

12 Likes

A ranking bump for having a G+ button?

brb…

2 Likes

How about “BE as evil as you want, but we will control who comes at that top of your search results when you search for evil.”

4 Likes

So is Google demanding it has a right to be forgotten?

7 Likes

Frankly I like Google+. I just have no real use for it as i don’t social well and tend to run out of things to say I feel are worth sharing. This is not the platform’s fault. Plus i like the retro computer group I found there. Those are nice people.

2 Likes

IMHO the “issue” with G+ is not the platform BUT everybody uses facebook so you have to also if you want to be “social” to the widest number of people

31945618fd40c0366eba9d40f01bcf1d--barbra-streisand-piano

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&q=forbes+removed+article+of+google

4 Likes
1 Like

Don’t be evil, my sweet tuchus…

2 Likes

And this right here is why I wail like a lost soul whenever someone thinks we can safely make an end run around the first amendment by relying on the omnibenevolence of unaccountable corporate entities.

5 Likes

The greatest trick the devil Google ever pulled was convincing people large publicly traded companies could be anything other than amoral.

5 Likes

For me, that’s a problem that solves itself.

Now if only I could stop these companies from trying to build an algorithmic behavioral duplicate of me…

5 Likes

How do we know they haven’t succeeded, and you’re really just the algorithmic behavioral duplicate of you?

4 Likes