Forbidden Wine: Tide detergent now comes in a dispenser box

Because you can’t ban ingenuity.

1 Like

“Remember whippets?” (Audience starts laughing) “Yeah, yeah, half you remember, and the other half need an explanation. Back in the 70’s some genius, who should have been hired by NASA, figured out that if you snort that little burp of gas that comes out right before the whipped cream, you get high for one second.” - Dennis Leary

(Note: I might not have remembered that particular sketch correctly, but this oughta be close enough. wanders off to wipe the whipped cream from his nose)

5 Likes

Snorting whippets was a big thing when I was a kid. Drove the local breeder nuts.

13 Likes

I wrote about whip-its just a week or two ago!

1 Like

Still better than this

2 Likes

The learned pleasures of sticky sweet codeine and fresh gestetner fluid (among others) will never leave me.

Like Jason said: “you can’t ban ingenuity.”

Very interesting, truly, but I find it impossible to give that a like. I did try.

4 Likes

When asked if P&G was aware of the dark futility of the internet

futility

2 Likes

Having less plastic is not always a win for packaging waste; generally the least overpackaged product is the one with the least package complexity… although sadly I’m sure exceptions abound.

The big jugs are eminently re-usable (but unfortunately displace traditional 3rd world brass water carriers which were self-disinfecting) and easily recyclable (you can flush the soap residue out easily at industrial scale).

The reduced transport costs @agies mentioned might be worth the difference in difficulty of recyling, I suppose - in the end it’s about total energy costs which are hard to pin down.

2 Likes

Well for one just because the jugs can be reused. Doesn’t mean they will be, or should be. You yourself called out one of the problems with using these to haul water.

It’s not just packaging waste. It’s also shipping concerns. The bag in box model is cheaper, and consumes less space/fuel to ship to the manufacturer to be filled (they’re basically flat pack). Likely has some improvement in terms of shipping out, though that’s probably in space/packability rather than weight here. Plastic jugs are pretty light. Which still means fewer shipments which means less fuel consumed. Less plastic means less petroleum used to make the package. And a good portion of the package is now biodegradable. It all takes up less space in processing and recycling.

More over a bag in a cardboard box isn’t much of a complexity increase if at all. It’s one more physical peice for the “wall” of the container. But it’s one less moving part (the vent/fill cap is no longer needed). And it’s probably simpler to manufacture, there’s no longer a separate printed label. Integrated handle is punched out of cardboard instead of molded. You don’t have a separate cap that needs to be molded and fitted.

I’m willing to bet there are fewer steps in their manufacture, as well as less waste on that end as well.

3 Likes

And maybe uses less plastic?

ETA @Ryuthrowsstuff beat me to it.

Anyway, it is good to know Tide has found a new way to ship water (in the form of liquid detergent) around the country and help with global warming (in the sense of helping the globe get warmer).

3 Likes

Why am I tagged on this post? Just because I’m a recreational user? Hey, I can quit any time.

3 Likes

To this very day I will not buy any Tide products because their ads in the '60’s were so screachingly horrible, actually designed to irritate one.

1 Like

Forbidden wine?

More like forbidden purple drank.

1 Like

There’s an entire marketing discplipline devoted to avoiding semiotic shelf disasters – avoiding the packaging formats, colors and type design associated with edible goods – and this blithely handwaves through a third of it.

https://twitter.com/HumansOfLate/status/1062407904924524544

There’s also the old standard, Fabuloso, which is not, in fact, a soft drink:

56023f649226e

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.