'Ford v Ferrari' looks like a car racing film I'll enjoy

I’m a bit of a baby for the BBS (at 37) and was raised Orthodox New-Age Wuss, so I have a lot of catching up to do. After watching the trailer, I’m fucking pumped.

5 Likes

the racing scenes are truly great, and the bit of narrative about the challenge of specific courses is also very cool. Enjoy!

2 Likes

My interest was piqued at 0:24 when there’s a nice VW beetle in the background.

I’m guessing it doesn’t get a lot of screen time, unfortunately. :man_shrugging:

The Silverstone Classic every year is amazing (not a movie, a real event!)
This is from my last trip.
https://flic.kr/s/aHskFrbEHQ

3 Likes

These are awesome! I swear I heard a little voice in my head telling me I’m not supposed to be looking at p0rn at work…

3 Likes

If you really want to stretch your trousers…
https://svra.com/events/

4 Likes

My family had TWO '68 Galaxie 500s when I was too young to drive them. The first one, we bought off the widowed 4th grade teacher and is still referred to as 'Mrs. S______‘s Car’. My high school cheerleader sister drunk drove it home (while still wearing her uniform) and decided a deep ditch was the turn off to our farm. The impact shoved back the engine enough to administer a coup de grace. My dad then bought a Police Intercept, complete with the eyeball-searing spotlight, with the plan of frankensteining them into the perfect hybrid. Before my dad could make headway on the project, my brother ground the Police Intercept into the dust through bad maintenance and general mistreatment.

Some people just can’t have nice things.

3 Likes

As featured in Neal Stephenson’s Zodiac as “the most lethal weapon ever developed for the Boston traffic wars”.

3 Likes

This movie is what the kids at the ad agencies call “branded content”.

Probably don’t care enough to not watch it.

2 Likes

It never met a gas station it didn’t like. 10 miles to the gallon on a strong tail wind…

3 Likes

Absolutely it’s a 2hr long ad for Ford, that said it’s still a legitimately good story. Also Rush was a great movie and that was arguably also a 2hr long ad. As long as this ends up being worth watching i’ll check it out.

3 Likes

Cheesy movies…

2 Likes

Okay…hang on…300 km per hour, that’s 900 feet per hour…900 into 5,280 equals miles per hour…185 miles per hour…how many minutes in a metric hour?

3 Likes

For … what, exactly?

Marlboro?
Ferrari?
Cocaine?

SY450

2 Likes

They still race Ford Galaxy’s at Goodwood:

It’s hilarious watching them go up against Minis (although in the video it’s racing a Lotus/Ford Cortina).
There’s also plenty of 60’s F1 racing at Goodwood too:

They stream the racing every year.

As for the film, I wonder if they’ll acknowledge that the original GT40’s were all designed and built in the UK…? Probably not :wink:

2 Likes

100, of course. Yes, there was an attempt at decimal time in the wake of the French Revolution.

1 Like

“…the Cortina is trying to pass the Galaxy - that’s a LOT of car!”

Watch it. It’s excellent. Some unbelievable goings-on.

2 Likes

For a super documentary on the Ford-Ferrari rivalry, I highly recommend “The 24 Hour War”. On dvd and bluray.

2 Likes