'Ford v Ferrari' looks like a car racing film I'll enjoy

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/03/ford-v-ferrari-looks-like.html

4 Likes

It does look very good.

I’d suggest Ron Howard’s “Rush” as a similar look and feel.

And if you are wanting to put you heart through a wringer, “Senna”

8 Likes

Funny enough a friend of mine is an extra on that film (he’s on camera very very briefly but still), saw that he posted about it this morning.

6 Likes

I was coming to say the same thing as @Dire

Ron Howard’s Rush was a fantastic flick…racing or not. This new film looks equally good. Great cast.

6 Likes

Rush was phenomenal, I highly recommend it as well. I haven’t seen Senna though

4 Likes

Ford v Ferrari:
Dawn of Justice Funny Accents

5 Likes

I don’t know what junk yard my 1966 Galaxie 500 w/ 428 SuperCobra, double pumper 4 barrel carbs is rusting in, but that trailer brought back some fond memories when gas was .49 cents a gallon, and a run from NYC to San Francisco could be done in roughy 48 hours.

[just a photo of one]

12 Likes

Senna is a documentary of course. But excellently filmed, almost entirely narrated by Vox Pops from central people in the sport and his family, if I recall correctly. But still has a thrilling narrative and a marginally unexpected denouement.

5 Likes

A buddy of mine I lived with after college was a Linux guru and gearhead. So, I’ve heard of the legend of Carroll Shelby.

Famously, in the 80’s when economical boxy hatchbacks were getting popular, he was tasked with making a “sport” version of the Dodge Omni. He did added a bunch of stuff (wider tires, variable geometry turbo, some other stuff), and we ended up with this:

It was named, the “Omni GLH”. Because he was in a boardroom meeting, and the executives were all coming up with dumb names and he said, “Let’s call it the GLH, because it Goes Like Hell.

11 Likes

Rush is indeed fantastic.

It’s beautifully shot, and the story has sucked in every non racing fan I’ve shown it to.

4 Likes

Do any of you wheels-to-reels afficionados have any good recommendations for 50’s/60’s F1/grand prix movies? I love the aesthetic of the pre-spoiler-era little tube cars. even the late 30s and 40s ones are just right up my alley.

4 Likes

Can we take a moment to appreciate the coordination of the F1 pit crews?

7 Likes

Grand Prix. Hands down.

8 Likes

obligs

3 Likes

I saw the time on the video and was like “psshh, 0:55 runtime, how impressive could this be” then, spoiler, the car is only there from 0:35 to 0:37…damn.

3 Likes

When I was 12 I wanted that hot hatch.

5 Likes

One of my college buddies got one of these about a year after we got out of school. We did a road trip together and I got a short stint at the wheel in this, and I can confirm that it definitely did GLH.

5 Likes

Are you kidding – You don’t know “Grand Prix” 1966? Set in the same era of the photo you posted, it follows a series of drivers as the go through the season trying to capture the championship. There is an American (James Garner), fired from the British team, goes to drive for the Japanese factory team. Its as awesome at least as LeManns.

4 Likes

I had a 1965 Galaxie 500 XL convertible, red with red and white interior.

4 Likes

Senna was so good.

2 Likes