Formula 1 car hits 88 mph with ease

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/29/formula-1-car-hits-88-mph-with.html

7 Likes

There’s a bloody lorry on the racetrack ! What were they thinking back then ?!

2 Likes

This thread had me poking around at old race photos, and I found this one…

Mt Panorama, 1969.

3 Likes

I didn’t get the reference at first, so I was thinking, “So? Is 88mph impressive? I’ll be doing that on the interstate tomorrow.”

4 Likes

The F1 racer in the foreground (which quickly passed ‘sparky’ on its right side, obscured by the spark storm) has a halo, so we’re talking about the newest F1 design there. But the little racer toward the end of the video looks vintage… late 50s?

3 Likes

Utterly fantastic, and well done.

Even more fantastic: if only the person passing him at 0:12 had been Jackie Stewart.

“Great Scot!”

6 Likes

Nah it’s an edit. Based on the drastic change in background and more importantly comments by the guy who posted to youtube.
Well done edit though.

3 Likes

My edit detecting skeptico-tron needs recalibration!

5 Likes

That was well done.

3 Likes

My guess would be one of these

Back To The Future was set in 1955 and the car in the video seems to be in the Mercedes colour scheme. Please correct me if I have got it wrong.

4 Likes

think that was monarco you can’t floor the pedal otherwise you’ll hit a concrete bollard but the top speeds there are pretty unrewarding… no overtaking

1 Like

It is

3 Likes

The vintage F1 looked like a Porsche to me; I think they were also at that time painted silver.

1 Like

None of their 1950-60s cars look right though.

ETA:
I just found a picture of the back of a Merc W196. It isn’t that either.

did not look

decidedly a w- series

That was better than what I was expecting!

Silver (or bare metal) is the international racing colour for Germany … which is the reason Ferrari still use red, and Jaguar sometimes uses that lovely green; the specific shade is British Racing Green.

And the Brits “borrowed” it from the Irish.

1 Like

Well, yeah? The English stole everything. From everyone.

1 Like