The David Starsky Gran Torino vs them Dukes' 'General Lee'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/13/the-david-starsky-gran-torino.html

3 Likes

Shenanigans! At no point did the cars hit a dirt ramp and go flying over a shallow creek.

11 Likes

I would have liked to see Magnum PI’s Ferrari in there too and maybe Night Rider.

Today, a Toyota Camry would be beat all of these cars using far less fuel. We’ve come a long way.

8 Likes

Ahhh, I do love Fifth Gear. Not really more straightlaced than Top Gear, but certainly less bonkers and cheeky.

Better drivers on the whole.

2 Likes

Might as well add the Adam West Batmobile and the A-Team van while you’re at it.

9 Likes

4 Likes

Almost as boring as the original shows.

Almost.

The police hound laff-riot was typical of TV for the times.

1 Like

We called them “boats”. The ones with big motors and fat rear tires were good for going fast in a straight line.

5 Likes

Pssshhh… I could have told you the Charger would win a race against a Gran Torino and I didn’t have to make a video about it.

1 Like

That race would have killed ten ordinary men.

5 Likes

My favorite thing about the General Lee was its magical ability to repair itself immediately following a rough landing that clearly crumpled the front fender and trashed the suspension.

7 Likes

Just remember. The closing credits theme was better than the opening music.

Of … course they did. Now don’t go ‘stealing’ my ‘fair use’. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The '69 Dodge Charger RT…I used to get picked up from school in that.

It was pretty much the joy ride from Blue Velvet every time.

1 Like

That’s not a huge surprise, considering that out of the seven Fifth Gear hosts that lasted more than a season, three have been professional racing drivers, and another racing as a hobby in Amateur classes. Vicki(from the video above) is from a racing family, and when she got into Automotive journalism, it was a sideline to her main job as a racing instructor at Silverstone.

Jason Plato was a British Touring Car Championship and V8 Supercar driver.

Johnny Smith collects classics and customs, and sometimes takes them out for Classics rallies or a bit of Autocrossing.

And of course Tiff, famously, was an incredibly talented driver, making it from his first have-a-go drive(sort of like those “Experiences” you can buy nowdays) at Brand’s Hatch to being a fully fledged F1 championship driver in under a decade, which was almost unheard of even at the time.

(Of the single season hosts, it’s a similar story - of the three, not including the appropriately named producer Jon Bently’s very short stint, you’ve got two Automotive journalists, and Ben Collins, who did a season-long stint on Fifth Gear after he was revealed as The Stig and subsequently fired.)

Also, fun facts, Tiff and Vicki also used to host Top Gear.

2 Likes

Here’s my understanding of 2018 youtube:

You can’t tell us the Charger would win, and you can’t make a video showing us the Charger would win, you have to make a video showing you telling us the Charger would win.

4 Likes

Tiff is amazing.

I have never seen a feat such as taping the knife to the hood of a BMW M5, and then taking slices off a cucumber while doing a 4 wheel drift around a bend.

Even Clarkson speaks of him reverently.

1 Like

I have never seen a feat such as taping the knife to the hood of a BMW M5, and then taking slices off a cucumber while doing a 4 wheel drift around a bend.

And even while doing that sort of thing, he’s still a consummate professional presenter - do you remember the time he was bombing around a pretty technical track at 120-150 mile an hour, with Jason Plato in the passenger seat, (mostly) calmly holding a conversation about the merits of the car and filling the dead air left by Jason being speechless? And it takes a hell of a driver to scare someone who can handle a V8 supercar. Or smoothly lecturing about how to do a perfect drift(well, back then everyone called them powerslides) while keeping a continuous four-wheel drift in a BMW Z3.

Tiff is genuinely a straight-up genius behind the wheel.

I don’t know if he still does the thing(well, I think he does, but I can’t be bothered to look it up right now), and sadly it’s an experience I missed while living in the UK, but for quite a while, you could pay about 200 pound, and you’d get to do a couple of hot laps with Tiff around Thruxton circuit - he’d bomb around it at top fucking speed, and just chatter away the whole time. Luckily, some folk have put their experience DVD videos up on youtube - though do pardon the peaky audio, not much I can do about it sadly.

(I didn’t intentionally grab only videos with women, I swear, it’s just the ones that came up on recommended next after I hit the first one)

1 Like

Oh wow thanks… watching the credits…TIL the great Lalo Schifrin did the theme at least for the first season.

2 Likes

My bone stock 2017 Kia Forte, with its 2.0L wind-up motor, would wipe the track with either of those cars.

Maybe It was built by the same guys who built Christine.

1 Like