Foreign currency exchange office in Prague caught on camera breaking the law

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/04/foreign-currency-exchange-offi.html

2 Likes

You have to watch out for counterfeit cash coming out of those exchange offices too.

8 Likes

Boing Boing has really latched on to covering this one guy’s videos about this one city.

2 Likes

These places are known ripoffs.

If you go to Prague:

1. Do not flag a cab on the street;
  2. Do not use these currency exchanges;
  3. Do not get involved in a land war in Asia;
  4. Do not go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line
26 Likes

Fortunately, there’s a way to easily identify scammy/abusive/shady currency exchanges. They will have signs that say something like “currency exchange.”

18 Likes

giphy

12 Likes

I wish Mark had included a sentence about /what/ happened. Commiting to watch a video to get at least the gist of the punch line is a click too far.

someone’s planning a vacation! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

And YouTube knows

1 Like

Give me a handful of coins on a cold day, and then come out of the office to assault me? I’ll just take my socks off and put those coins to good use…

1 Like

Czech currency exchangers are apparently famous for giving bogus exchange rates. As a result of this, there’s a law that if you return to the currency exchange with your receipt within 3 hours of exchanging your currency, they must exchange it back for you. The offices are doing stuff like refusing the exchange, giving you back less than you exchanged, giving you back what you exchanged but in a ridiculous amount of coins, etc.

2 Likes

I just like his work. I wish other people did this for other cities.

9 Likes

Netflix should hire this guy to make a series where he city-hops and points out all the scams he finds along the way.

1 Like

Go to a bank. I used Komerční banka when I was in Prague. The only English the guy spoke was “No” (Do you speak English?) and “Change money?”, but it was painless and I got a good exchange rate.

2 Likes

Fastest in the west at unlacing your shoes, taking your sock off, fiddling the coins in there…

Just use an ATM. The exchange rate won’t be great, it won’t be terrible.

2 Likes

This is typically what I do, only burned me once when I visited India post-demonetization.

Merrell moccasins. :wink:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.