Former ISIS hostage: they want us to retaliate

A-fucking-greed.

Have a unicorn chaser.

5 Likes

Somehow I instinctively knew all of this. I knew that this is how they felt, what they wanted.

Yes, it is vitally important to protect Muslims living in the West [EDIT: and elsewhere!] against discrimination, and not doing so might benefit ISIS directly. But IMHO it is equally important to militarily engage those who have actually taken up arms under the flag of ISIS. They won’t go away by sending in social workers.

1 Like

That’s almost definitely true, but equally important is to not engage people who haven’t and that’s the part we fuck up every single time.

5 Likes

Even if they’re deluded enough to think they can eventually take over the world, their immediate goals aren’t hard to discern. If you want to radicalize the dispossessed youth of a culture, give them a scapegoat to attack, and all the better if that scapegoat is perceived as a Great Satan with a poor track record of distinguishing radicals from ordinary citizens with jealous neighbors. Daesh isn’t the countries that will be attacked, it’s in those countries trying to topple them. They want a power vacuum and the West is the vacuum cleaner. This isn’t hard to understand. You don’t even have to know anything about internecine Islamic conflicts (though you sure as shit do once your there and trying to pry the radicals our of the power vacuum you just created). The terrorists’ actions speak for themselves.

Oh, and ISIS and ISIL are the names Daesh uses when speaking English to the rest of us (infidels to them). Those names are calculated to try to legitimize itself as a state instead of a terrorist organization. Among themsleves and in the Arabic speaking world, they use caliphate, an Islamic state. They punish people who use the name Daesh because it sounds like another Arabic word for someone who causes chaos and discord from within (essentially a traitor). Therefore, I use the name Daesh, because that’s the most polite thing I can say about these scum-sucking hordes of deluded idiots and the clerics that use them for cannon fodder.

1 Like

France can’t outspend Saudi Arabia’s Wahabi export budget.

4 Likes

yes, of course. I see my first post could be read in another way… but that wasn’t what I meant.

1 Like

Actually, I think we should challenge this assumption. We know from recent history that bombing does not resolve most conflicts - it only escalates it. And terrorism is a more of a psychological form of warfare compared to army vs. army. Asymmetrical conflicts are usually resolved by engaging the parties in dialogue and settling of grievances thru diplomacy.

I realize this is a very controversial viewpoint and it sounds a bit “kumbaya”. We are all pissed off and hungry for revenge right now but maybe this bears investigation before we risk a bunch of innocents becoming collateral damage from more drone strikes.

7 Likes

They want us to retaliate

Of course they do, just as Bin Laden did in 2001. And because our governments are as stupid as each other, France will do it, and the rest of us will join in. Just like before.

Although… Has anyone else commented on the fact that France was the bad guy when they didn’t support the invasion of Iraq, and is now enjoying a surge of approval from the same quarters that had Americans eating ‘Freedom Fries’ a decade ago?

5 Likes

The only ones who could “legally” do diplomacy with them are the states whose territories they occupy.
Also, I would be very surprised if they had a single demand anyone in the world would consider negotiable.

but they recruit out of the people currently in the middle of a civil war. the needs of the civilians can be discussed.

Resolve completely? No.

Decrease the capabilities of enemy? Yes.

Nearly all wars are resolved by engaging in diplomacy - usually after one side has either lost or is close to losing. That doesn’t mean you can always just skip ahead to the diplomacy part and avoid the war. The war is often what makes people come to the bargaining table in the first place with reasonable demands and concessions.

As in the famous aphorism, “Diplomacy is the continuation of war by other means”.

4 Likes

“They will be heartened by every sign of overreaction, of division, of fear, of racism, of xenophobia; they will be drawn to any examples of ugliness on social media.”

So, they’re trolls, and Western goverment are kinda feeding them. Nice move, we all know how this ends…

4 Likes

Not just extremist movements - to some degree we all do this, read the world through our particular filters. The question is whether or not we can see our way out enough to think critically about our own mindset. the ISIS clowns can’t, neither can any number of ideologically blinkered people, too.

4 Likes

They may want us to retaliate, but how about the Chinese? :open_mouth:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.