Fossil of a car-sized millipede found in England

Originally published at: Fossil of a car-sized millipede found in England | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Car length isn’t car-sized. From that video:

12 Likes

You Britts have all the fun.

2 Likes

Did they make tunnels?

15 Likes

They can get up to 3m.

This fossil may be new, but they have known about Arthropleura for awhile. Something that big, I bet someone would eat it like lobster if it were around today.

5 Likes

I have never thought all that much about bug poop but damn that big leggy monster would have changed everything!

4 Likes

As someone from Newcastle, UK, yeah we sometimes have fun and it’s one the best cities to visit. However don’t visit here please if not vaccinated and prepared to wear a mask occasionally. Unless you are invited to 10 Downing Street for any reason, a jolly knees up. After business, of course.

4 Likes

That is a really small car. I don’t know, probably only three or four clowns could fit in that one.

9 Likes

British clowns?

5 Likes

Were they apex, or did something bigger eat them?

3 Likes

Either way - Nightmare fuel!

4 Likes

The still photo on the video kinda turned me off. Why does everything have to be slobbering and menacing and dripping saliva? I also suspect these bugs didn’t really have the strength to rear up like that, as they are pushing the upper limits of what exoskeletal creatures can do.

2 Likes

Not what I’d want in a muscle car. What are the Roachsters like?

3 Likes

5 Likes

tumblr_mpj9p4c1UB1ra3aejo2_400|nullxnull

6 Likes

Christ, that looks like one of the Hooders from Neal Asher’s Polity books.

3 Likes

This thing haunted my nightmares when I was a kid and learned there were things lurking in the Carboniferous forest that made Dr Who’s giant maggots look positively pedestrian. The giant dragonflies not a problem - a cow-sized millipede - no thank-you, that sort of horror doesn’t even belong in Australia.

Don’t visit Northumbria 300Mya without a flame thrower - which should work even better with those elevated levels of oxygen.

1 Like

Maybe it was a Volkswagen Beetle?

Joke Dog GIF

11 Likes

Angry Kristen Wiig GIF by Saturday Night Live

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.