Foundation repairs have apparently worsened the lean at San Francisco's failing Millenium Tower

I’m not sure I’d want to buy anything within half a mile of it, a mile if I’m east.

2 Likes

Seriously. I have that thought whenever I come through town. There are zero ways that thing can go gracefully.

4 Likes

Shot this past my structural engineer buddy. He says the reason all the engineers are old / close to retirement is that it won’t follow them to the next job, so basically no one is accountable, they’ll all be dead before that happens. As well, it will in the end be on the City to dismantle when the building is abandoned, the only true viable solution.

2 Likes

Makes perfect sense. Hard to imagine this going any other way.

2 Likes

Amazingly this was more or less the method actually used to attempt to right the crooked tower of the new eastern span of the Bay Bridge, (before the compromised hold-down bolt fiasco had been discovered).

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Fixing-Bay-Bridge-tower-s-lean-put-crucial-rods-6118066.php

4 Likes

Yes, what’s the fuss, all you’d need is basically an upscaled version of this:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.