Fox News, far-right podcasters ruined an innocent man's life by identifying him as a neo-Nazi shooter, alleges lawsuit

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/12/fox-news-far-right-podcasters-ruined-an-innocent-mans-life-by-identifying-him-as-a-neo-nazi-shooter-alleges-lawsuit.html

7 Likes

“Neo-nazi murderer”: Is that one is a neo-nazi and happens to murder? Or someone who murderers neo-nazis. FTR: I don’t support either, but one of them might have some mitigating circumstances.

7 Likes

like a leopard eating a face, right wingers wanted to “open up the libel laws.”

7 Likes

Sounds like one of those awkward misunderstandings on Seinfeld.

“Kramer, I can’t believe you hang out with a guy like that.”

“What’s wrong with Todd? He may not be for everyone, but he does good work.”

“He’s a Neo-Nazi murder, Kramer! He murders people! People like me!”

“(Flash of shock and double take) No! No! Jerry! God, no! (Looks around and in a hushed tone) He’s a Neo-Nazi murderer, Jerry. He murders Neo-Nazis.”

“Ooooohhhhhhh! Neo-Nazi murderer! Of course!”

“What, you though I would - (does that little head bob thing) - Jerry, come on!”

25 Likes

Bankrupt them!

14 Likes

And neo-Nazi murderer was a bad thing in this particular Fox News segment? It’s hard to keep track these days

$1M is a negligible fine, no deterrent at all. His lawyers should be pushing him to sue for an amount they’ll actually notice.

12 Likes

Every little bit helps.

5 Likes

… it was an embarrassment that had to be covered up, which is why they had to deflect suspicion to this poor bastard instead :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

decided to forgo “elementary journalistic precautions”

Usually I’d be surprised that a news outlet didn’t follow the standard journalistic procedure of clearly identifying a suspect in a crime by including middle name*, age, and place of residence. But this is Faux News we’re talking about.

[* This is why we know the middle names of so many notorious killers.]

3 Likes

You’d think Alex Jones and his $1B judgement would teach these fools a lesson. Tell Rupert to get his checkbook handy

4 Likes

I’m actually supportive of the relatively low amount requested. Too high, and it becomes a story about greed by someone with a Hispanic surname. That’ll play well with Texan jurors. (/s) But $1M is life-changing enough, and much more likely to result in a guilty verdict, which is equally important.

1 Like
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.