Foxconn promised it would do something with the empty buildings it bought in Wisconsin, but they're still empty (still no factory, either)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/15/billions-in-subsidies.html

8 Likes

Well I guess ignoring them is something.

9 Likes

Related:

“Whether Trump even cares about this in six months, who knows,”

9 Likes

+1 on that illustration!

Ozymandias

By Percy Bysshe Shelley

I met a traveller from an antique land,

Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone

Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,

Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,

And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read

Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,

The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;

And on the pedestal, these words appear:

My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

14 Likes

Given that their name is made up of two words meaning to cheat or deceive someone, at least they’re upfront about being deceptive. Going to be rebranded as “Scorpion Asking For River Crossing LTD”.

15 Likes

When the presidential campaign ads really begin, the Democrats should put out ads with each one showing a succession of quickie images of Trump lies and promises, with each immediately followed by the reality. A 60 second spot could easily cover four of Trump’s bogus remarks and flops. Trump provided so much ammo, that viewers could be carpet-bombed with the ads all day long and for months on end with little repetition of the ads!

20 Likes

they told him that the centers were about to be filled with vigorously innovating Wisconsinites

I’m vigorously innovating right now!

11 Likes

I’m sure this terrible example will cause states to tie cash incentives and tax breaks to companies actually fulfilling their promises and ha, ha, ha, ha, who am I kidding?

10 Likes

Or more if you pattern them after his rate of utterance!

1 Like

Grifters gotta keep on grifting.

His base won’t care. Other stupid voters will be swept along with them. I’ve yet to see a viable plan for convincing Trump supporters that they’ve been had. They are all “thank you sir, may I have another.”

6 Likes

When the company I used to work for was going down the crapper there were several times I heard my boss on the phone making empty promises and telling stories I knew were invented. I’m not saying Foxconn is going down the tubes (I doubt they are anyway) but that you can tell when someone is jerking you around, it’s just that some people want to believe the lies. Con men know this, and they know that if they make even bigger promises they can jerk you around even longer.

4 Likes

Seriously, I hope the DNC is thinking hard about this. The one time I’d be happy for Wall St. ad agency message-delivery skills.

2 Likes

The suckers who vote for Walker and his ilk will always end up completely shocked when these completely predictable things happen.

9 Likes

Those buildings aren’t empty. They are full of hopes and prayers.

9 Likes

Not called Fox-con for nothing.

2 Likes

Well, you can’t have Shelley’s without it’s twin/counterpart:

by Horace Smith

1 Like

I think you mean “Madison Ave” , but Wall St works too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.