Delayed, not saved: Foxconn's Wisconsin "factory" announcement is a bid to help Trump save face

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/02/rubes-vs-slickers.html

5 Likes

This is obvious to anyone except desperate cognitive-dissonance types wanting more than anything to believe that their white supremacist in the White House is an infallible god-king of negotiations.

Sadly, that’s still at least 27% of the electorate.

We have to resign ourselves to the fact that these MAGA-hat-wearing Know-Nothings are born suckers who’ll never see reason. Total write-offs.

27 Likes

25 Likes

Did you mean inflatable?

25 Likes

Why would anyone go out of their way to help Trump save face? Has there ever been a leader with less dignity? Idi Amin maybe?

10 Likes

It’s almost like they’ve conned us, like a fox.

14 Likes

Actually, I like the way Foxconn is playing Walker and Mr. T, just like they’re playing with their electorates.

Playas must play.

3 Likes

This feels less like lipstick on a pig and more like the vague promise of putting lipstick on a pig.

I’m sure they got something out of it - probably not some new benefit, but the lack of some penalty (or loss of existing benefits). Cheaply bought, as all they have to do is publicly pretend they’re doing something they aren’t (and they don’t even have to make much of an effort there, either - just issue one statement and then say nothing for two years).

And also that they’re enough to get Trump re-elected.

11 Likes

This, so much this :frowning_face:

We were surprised when ⊥rump was elected.

We should not be surprised when he gets re-elected.

One-term Presidents are very much the exception.

9 Likes

Drump called them up and threatened to invest in real-estate in their neighborhood. “don jr and the other one will be there 24/9/257, is there any good shootins around there? they like to go bam bam”

1 Like

tumblr_oa41n88pog1rowenko1_500

10 Likes

think about every world leader waiting, just waiting, for the next president in order to skip over dealing with this nonsense and hoping he doesn’t pay any attention to their country when someone whispers in his ear into his empty mind

ie. “5000 troops to columbia”

1 Like

I’m calling right now.

11 Likes

Donald Trump will be president for two or fewer years

Shine on you crazy diamond

2 Likes

What’s asinine is that if Scott Walker/GOP had negotiated the deal well, there wouldn’t be any concerns if Foxconn reneged. A well written contract would have gotten taxpayers 110% of their subsidies back… but I suspect that with all the hemming and hawing, this wasn’t the case.

1 Like

Reply All did a fantastic episode on the situation in Mount Plesant.

https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/132-negative-mount-pleasant

1 Like

LCDs are pure commodities, among the lowest-margin components, and about to be made obsolete by OLEDs.

Just like VHS and clean coal.

4 Likes

But they’re not playing Walker and Trump, Walker and Trump are completely in on the scam. Walker just wanted the deal to help him stay in power (didn’t work). Trump also knows Foxconn is just raking in money for doing nothing–he admires them for it! He just didn’t like them admitting now that they’re not going to build a factory (the admission really was a stupid move on their part). He told them “just say you’re building a factory after all, it will help both of us”.

3 Likes

Ironically, I think this may be playing out as they intended.

• Create unexpected, newsworthy victory out of thin air.
  • Wait until a distraction is needed, then,
  • “Uncover” a sufficiently embarrassing defeat to draw attention away from the latest investigation/indictment/arrest.
  • Save the day/rescue the deal with ‘tremendous power, great negotiating skills’.
  • Label the week as a ‘win’.

Aren’t we tired of winning yet?

4 Likes

3 Likes