After $4.1 billion subsidy, Foxconn cancels plan to build Wisconsin "factory," now proposing a small R&D facility

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/30/sending-jobs-to-jina.html

7 Likes

Why am I not surprised?

Why would anyone be surprised?

27 Likes

Scott Walker you magnificent bastard!

8 Likes

and yet, when they come sniffing around another area that seems ripe for “economic development” and “tech jobs” some asshole politician will fall into exactly the same trap. that 4 billion could have done a lot of good in Wisconsin. instead it’s lining the pockets of some grifter. another proud moment of the walker legacy.

17 Likes

Even before this particular ignominy, the Foxconn boondoggle wasn’t gonna be worth it. If you haven’t heard it, go listen to this podcast on the history of this stupidity, and the impact on the residents of the small town where it was supposed to go down. It’s as infuriating as it is fascinating.

https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/132-negative-mount-pleasant

12 Likes

You know full well the GOP constituency there will blame Obama for this…

18 Likes

Bribing con-men executives doesn’t work?

Perhaps if all states taxed corporations at the same rate and were not allowed to offer these subsidies, they would have to compete via infrastructure, work force education, and training.

15 Likes

Do I hear 4 billion? 4 billion?
I’ll give you 4 billion, 4 billion.

3 Likes

The “party of fiscal responsibility” everyone! Take a bow, GOP!

My guess is, in no way will this be reflected upon during the elections as being the fault of the GOP. It will be spun until it’s someone else’s fault, like anything the GOP fucks up.

They are the Teflon party. Nothing sticks to them unless you apply a LOT of heat. And both are toxic.

15 Likes

State legislators have decided to just leap straight to blaming the incoming Democratic governor.

22 Likes

11 Likes

When your administration might just have some integrity those billions in handouts could dry out and they may get taxed. Less free money? Harder to bribe officials to cut regulations? Sounds scary.

12 Likes

I can listen to his albums all day long as background fuzz and enjoy every second.

1 Like

I had a wild fantasy when cities were lining up the dump trucks full of money to give to Amazon that Jeff Bezos would give a speech where he explained that from this point forward Amazon would take a long-term view for its investors that it is better to be located in places with good government, education, and infrastructure than to squeeze another .0001% of its profit from money that could go to schools and roads instead.

Then I remembered that Jeff Bezos was only worth about $165 billion, so it’s ridiculous to think that he’d start thinking this way until he could make some real money.

14 Likes

I misread the headline.

I was hoping for a $4 billion D&D facility. That would be sick.

26 Likes

Liz Uihlein has been occupying the back of her company’s massive catalog with political essays about economic growth and dogwhistle racism, and this enormous factory has been mentioned by her. According to her, Foxconn is actually Taiwanese, and Wisconsin is booming.

Years before America’s foremost public grifter became the “president”, GOP politicians were working with corporations and billionaires to pull this kind of bait-and-switch. The stadium boondoggles were the beta tests for garbage like this.

7 Likes

*For certain values of booming.

4 Likes

This is what happens when you elect grifters.

7 Likes

giphy%20(3)

11 Likes