After $4.1 billion subsidy, Foxconn cancels plan to build Wisconsin "factory," now proposing a small R&D facility

Wait till those cheeseheads find out all the researchers are actually coming in on visas from China

8 Likes

Nah. The whole ethos of the republican party is to transfer as much money as possible out of the government into private industry. For as little value as possible. So that they can both point to how inept and inefficient the government (that they happen to be running) is.

Therefore proving (to the morons who vote R on fiscal grounds) the system is corrupt and what’s really necessary is for more Rs to be elected and to get rid of any D opposition.

It’s par for the course.

11 Likes

The H1 B app will almost certainly require people who have intimate technical knowledge of Foxconn’s trade secrets that have been kept locked up in china. That will prove no American can “do the job”, then Foxconn will be allowed to import as many skilled laborers as it likes without having to consider American citizens at all.

Saw it happen all the time in IT. Just make an H1 B app with nonsense reqs and then only accept the single candidate you already are planning on importing.

10 Likes

The thing of it is, Scott Walker isn’t a businessman. He dropped out of college, never actually had a job outside of politics, and his entire political career is marred by scandal and hyper-partisan party-politics.

He’s a conman. Through and through.

15 Likes

In the fast flying software company I used to work for there was one phrase that sent shivers down everyone’s spine: liquidated damages.

ie if the product doesn’t actually do x y and z then the penalties are $a, $b, and $c.

If Walkers contract doesn’t have liquidated damages it is just a gift.

5 Likes

WI is paying $600K per job to Foxconn*; I was thinking that would buy a lot of teachers, park rangers, firemen. But seeing this I feel it’s high time WI took the lead and hired Dungeon Master Laureate.

*PolitiFact | Wisconsin offering to pay Taiwan tech firm Foxconn $1 million per job at manufacturing plant?

6 Likes

The Republicans have either no concept of ROI at all, or (more terrifyingly) they have a keenly honed concept of ROI, but the investment is ours and the return is theirs at some other time and place.

We’re all like, “Scott Walker is such a dumbass!” and Scott Walker is like, [can’t hear us over the sound of the crystal clear tourqouise waves gently lapping at the white sand beach of his private island].

13 Likes

I work in IT so I know it well.

One of the AM radio station in NY used to run ads that were clearly aimed at crazy requirements that nobody apart from one person could meet.

“Must have knowledge of Ironworking, small engine repair, scuba, SQL2000, HTML, and .NET. Must be fluent in Gujarati and English. Must have 4 year degree in engineering and MS in Social Work with combined GPA between 3.8 and 3.9” - that kind of thing

16 Likes

Trump was right! I am tired of winning. God, I am so tired of winning.

12 Likes

Instead of creating a promised 260 jobs in 2018, it only created 178, making it ineligible for tax credits.

So some of the tax credits they were promised are contingent on meeting certain targets (albeit ones that are absurdly, obscenely low). I’m wondering how much the state is giving away, regardless of what they do. I.e. just how screwed Wisconsin is on the deal - completely or just mostly?
It sounds like mostly, as even if they’re not giving away the full $3 billion in tax credits, there’s still tons of costs associated with what they’ve already done (buying the land, building infrastructure, etc.) and will do (environmental exemptions, etc.) regardless of how many workers there will be.

“This time, we promise, the scorpion will absolutely not sting us in the back!” said the frog Wisconsin.
Yeah, I dunno how anyone can be surprised by Foxconn doing what they always do…

But even more than money, they all gave Amazon massive amounts of data about their short- and long- term plans for their cities, giving Amazon insider information they can now leverage to their advantage via various business opportunities that other companies don’t even know about. Amazon was probably never actually considering anything other than a couple major cities, but they lead everyone along to get the data.

8 Likes

We don’t blame Foxconn for altering plans in an ever-changing technology business. It’s also not surprising Foxconn would rethink building a manufacturing plant in Wisconsin under the Evers Administration…

Who, besides every Pennsylvanian, could see this coming, complete with the exact same excuse.

In 2013, the Taiwanese manufacturer promised a $30 million factory in the Harrisburg area that would employ 500 people. There were big headlines, but the factory was never built.

Asked by a reporter on July 28, 2017 why Foxconn wouldn’t do the same to Wisconsin, Gov. Scott Walker responded by saying the difference is simple:

“Pennsylvania changed governors.”

1 Like

then what is the point? just the subsidy? because that being the case, couldn’t they have gone anywhere in the world?

2 Likes

American exeptionalism isn’t a real thing for pork projects?

1 Like

Shout out to Reply All, a must subscribe podcast!

yeah, i dunno. germany much?

or why not anywhere if you’re not going to use local talent?

Makes one angry that shit, doesn’t it? But we can post a few pictures of guillotines to make the sting go away.

What do you mean by we?

1 Like

Quote from the linked article. I just copied and pasted, but I should have used quotation marks. Not my words.

Quote was from a statement released by assembly Speaker Robin Vos and Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald. That’s the “We”.

1 Like

I agree, fascinating and infuriating, and very worth the listen. Thanks for the link. Mount Pleasant got played.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.