Foxconn wants Wisconsin to keep paying it billions, but it won't disclose what kind of factory it will build

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/17/cheesed-off.html

3 Likes

It’s Foxconn. I deal with them for board parts in China. That’s all I have to say because I like being employed.

7 Likes

Foxconn: it’s right there in the name

13 Likes

It’s a good thing we live in a functional democracy, so all the legislators that were complicit in this ripoff will get voted out in the next elec… Oh. Right.

21 Likes

Ah, the ghost of Scotty Walker.

12 Likes

15 Likes

16 Likes

Perhaps the offer should be as follows:

1. Foxconn components not produced in Wisconsin are contraband, and subject to seizure.
  2. Manufactured articles sold in Wisconsin using non-Wisconsin produced Foxconn components are contraband, and are subject to seizure at the border.
  3. Amazon must maintain a “clean” warehouse where items compliant with 1 and 2 above are stored for local (intra-state) distribution, and are subjected to frequent supply chain audits.
5 Likes

Nothing to worry about.

6 Likes

I imagine the execs at Foxconn going “I can’t believe they bought that load of bullshit the first time. Hook line and sinker!” “No way they’ll fall for it again!” “Fuck it, we’re doing it again!” “YOLO!”

7 Likes

“large number of cement trucks used in pouring the foundation of the facility” I have the impression that the amount of cement poured is considered an important statistic in China’s “explosive growth”.

5 Likes

~~ G. W. Bush

7 Likes

Careful! A large number of cement trucks does not always mean that a large amount of cement was poured, especially if they keep cycling through the gates without pouring anything. (A lesson learned from the Montreal Olympics.)

6 Likes

Not much of a secret how it happened… They just bribed the only people that count. The small town council. A half dozen people get rich, and screw an entire town. And state. And country.

But money!

8 Likes

Also in “CONservative”.

7 Likes

Soylent Green production.

“Good people make good food!”
“Our people have good taste!”
“Only the best people are there!”

5 Likes

To be fair to Foxconn, I want Wisconsin to pay me billions without having to disclose what I am doing with that money, also.

Heck, I would even settle for 10s of millions!

12 Likes

Across the globe big business has figured out it can milk the public coffers thanks to conservative ideology, then use the money to convince the public that any malfeasance was the fault of leftist politicians who want to “take away your freedom.”

10 Likes

From one particular view, all a factory really does is take expert knowledge, breaks it into a series of composed steps and allows untrained labor to produce the same goods in bulk.

In this case, Foxconn has built a factory that encapsulates the expert knowledge of taking public money from gullible politicians and transferring the money to Foxconn. In this case, the politicians have provided all the labor required.

The factory is running efficiently and doing exactly what it was designed to do.

10 Likes

Wisconsin and Foxconn. They deserve each other.

2 Likes