Franchesca Ramsey explains what makes some stereotypes racist

Dammit, now I want some watermelon…

1 Like

I reckon you’d be safe bringing watermelon as long as you didn’t go around telling all the African Americans present, “I brought y’all some watermelon!”

Just bring it. Eat it. Share it. 'Tis all good. :wink:

1 Like

Here in Florida, we average about 3 roadside stands each summer until we find one that has black seeds instead of the ubiquitous non-seeded ones. I agree, they do taste better, and eating watermelon outside in summer should always have mouth-borne projectiles involved, dammit.

1 Like

So true…when I was a kid we all ate a ton of it, but the black neighbors would only eat it in the neighborhood…if we went to the fair or football games they wouldn’t buy it. I wondered why until I got a bit older.

We’re growing our own watermelon this year. I hope it’s worth the wait.

1 Like

No, it does work in the South, where I’ve met black Americans who refuse to eat watermelon or chicken in front of white people for the same reasons that FR cites (while also working against) in the video. And her explanations about chicken-eating as an enduring stereotype because it was a way to make black people look “savage” make a lot of sense to me. Did you actually watch the video?

I agree with and appreciate all of your comment, but I think the bigger reason they’re discriminated against is because nativist white sentiment has been whipped up against them by politicians and corporate policy makers, who dupe USians into fearing their supposedly criminal tendencies and, especially, the supposed threat of them “taking our jobs!!” It’s another way of using race and class to divide and conquer all over again.

4 Likes

We can only make fun of corporations and their crimes against humanity for their own global economic empire; everyone else is off limits.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.